'00 220 Bogging after top end rebuild

Mainekdxer

Oct 15, 2004
MY 00 KDX has the following mods already: REV pipe, with power core silencer, and boyseen power reeds. I have had those mods for the last three seasons with no issues. I decided I wanted to tweak things even more so I started my winter project back in January. I just finished my winter project which consisted of sending my cylinder to FRP for porting work, my carb to RB designs (for all of the carb work he does including the air screw), and after reading about the silencer packing thread, I changed that too (nasty!!). Once I got everything back I put on a new wiesco piston and ring set, and put it all back together again. I put some gas in it, turned the fuel switch to "on" and began to kick, and kick, and kick, and kick. Nothing? So I began to check everything, yup spark was connected, fuel was on, good compression. . .couldn't figure it out. After kicking for another 10 min I checked everything again. Looking at the gas switch I decided to turn it to reserve thinking maybe I didn't put enough gas in the tank. On the second kick it started right up! :bang: A few days later I rode it up and down the driveway a few times and noticed a serious problem. Even after the engine had warmed up considerably I noticed the bike would really bog at about 1/8 throttle in all gears. It begins by bogging, then the power band hits, and hits hard. Once the bike is in the power band I have no issues, but as soon as I go back to lower revs, it bogs right out. I have to lean forward on the handle bars, because I know when the power band hits it is going to hit really hard and I don't want to flip over backwards. Any ideas?

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
I have a couple ideas. 1) your kips could be stuck open(easy to check) and/or 2) after the porting and carb mods you might be way rich at low rpm. Is it burbling like it won't warm up? or is it missing at low rpm? burbling is a rich sound, missing is usually an electrical issue.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
try it again after it's all warmed up and put the choke half way on. if it runs better, it's probably too lean and you need to go up a size on the pilot. Where do you have the AS adjusted to?

Mainekdxer

Oct 15, 2004
I tried my AS at 1/8 like Rob sent it and I also tried 2.5 turns like I see is popular. . . .no help either way. cicone it is definitely making a burbling type sound. The reponse feels like the engine is cold even after really warming it up.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Mainekdxer said:
I tried my AS at 1/8 like Rob sent it and I also tried 2.5 turns like I see is popular. . . .no help either way. cicone it is definitely making a burbling type sound. The reponse feels like the engine is cold even after really warming it up.
ok--the bwaaaaa sound is lean and burbling is rich(or misfiring). i'm still thinking your kips are stuck open. have you checked? just remove the pipe and look in there---you'll see 'em closed and on mine(not sure about the new 220) you can activate them manually by removing the resonater cover and depressing the rod. are you sure the carb slide is installed properly,,,,float level?...piston not in backwards?(that's a guess, as i don't know the symptoms of that) :|

est142

Dec 30, 2003
mega rich. try 2 clips leaner on the needle. if that works better, i would go down 3 sizes on the pilot and 1 clip leaner on the needle, from the original starting point. put the AS at 1 1/2 turns and leave it alone until the bike runs normally. AS is for very fine tuning only.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Did you disassemble your kips valve when you had your cylinder off? It sounds to me like you either didn't reassemble it properly or your actuator shaft going to the kips is not in the correct position. I had this same problem and had my dealer help me.

Top Bottom