99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
How do you adjust the timing on a '01 CR250? I'm having detonation problems with mine and I would like to retard the timing a little to alleviate the pinging. I've tried, with help from some fellow DRN'ers, to rejet it to fix the problem, but if I stop the detonation, it runs too rich. If it's jetted cleanly, it pings.
I figured if I retard the timing a little it should fix it. I could probably figure this out on my own, but I though I would ask here first and save myself any trouble I might run into.:D

FYI, all the help I got on the jetting is very much appreciated, as the bike runs MUCH cleaner after the changes!

Thanks All!

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Oops..........

I don't know how I got this posted here, I meant for it to be in the CR forum:whiner:

I mut have lost my mind or something.........yeah I think I'll stick with that story.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... and magically it is :)

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Why thank you sir!

I "adjusted" the timing last night, I hope. By deductive reasoning, I rotated the stator opposite the crank rotation in order to retard the timing. Now as long as my reasoning is not flawed maybe this will work :ugg:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by 99CR125OK
By deductive reasoning, I rotated the stator opposite the crank rotation in order to retard the timing.

You have advanced the timing. Always wear the proper safety equipment when deducing. :)

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Like I said "flawed":whiner:

Oh well, I had a fifty-fifty chance, I should have known I'd pick wrong.

Darn deductive reasoning, where's Sherlock Holmes when you need him?

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Detonation

I didn't remember from the earlier thread but did you try to run higher octane fuel with the leaner jetting? Mine will ping with clean jetting especially when the weather gets hot. I run at least 50/50 108 race gas and 93 pump gas.

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
No I have not tried higher octane fuel, I'd rather stick with pump gas if I can. Since, I don't do any serious racing or anything and I could sacrifice a little power I'd rather save that as a last resort. Hopefully I can get it to run right without the race gas.

Thank you for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Retarding the timing can result in more power. :)

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Try the highest octane pump gas you can get (that does not contain ethonal)
If you must be retard timing (turning stator in direction of crank rotation) do so in very small increments (about equal to the timing mark)
ps it sounds good anyway

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Try Amoco premium pump fuel. I've found it works the best of all the brands I've tried. Those include Sunoco, Exxon, Mobile, Citgo, and Shell brands. Amoco seems to run better and be more consistent than the others.

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
Does anyone have DETAILED instrustions and possible pictures of the timing adjustment ? I have an owners manual for my bike but it does not cover that. My bike is the same (01' CR 250)

Top Bottom