Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I'm moving my son up from a 65 to an 80/85. He's still a beginner and still has a little trouble working the clutch and being in the correct gear. He has some riding experience but not much, maybe 12 times on a track. I have the opportunity to get him one of the two bikes mentioned. The RM is a bit more expensive and is a couple hours drive more than the CR. I was hoping to get some opinions from those that have owned these bikes as to their characteristics, problems, pros etc. He rides MX tracks, or is trying to, no woods. Thanks for any responses.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I own an RM85L, and they are really good bikes. I would get the RM, they are extremely trustable, durable, and very fun play-around bikes. My whole top end has about 35 hours on it, and it is still kickin! overall I think you should get the RM.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The RM is a power valve engine the CR is not. This basically means the RM will be easier for a less experienced rider to control. We had a CR85 and it was a great bike but not for a beginner level rider in stock form! We ended up going with an Eric Gorr built & ported 102cc, flywheel weight, etc... which made the bike even more of a beast without the flywheel and very usable in an aggressive way with it installed. The RM is a good solid bike that has won races and will have more usable power in the lower to mid RPM range.

IMO a beginner level rider on a RM85 will be faster than the same rider on the CR85 until the rider becomes more agressive. By then the way kids grow you'll be looking for a 125 class bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom