ccie6872

Jun 25, 2001
Does anyone have a '02 KX500? What do you think? What would you buy, a '01 CR500 or '02 KX500. I am looking to sell my '01 KX250 for a 500 (mainly for the dunes).

Happy riding!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Mine works fine. For me, it came down to my basic aversion toward Honda (at the time), & the fact that I'd never had a Kawi before.

I have nothing to complain about. It's everything it's cracked up to be, & then some. So far, it looks like the major identifiable differences between the 01 and 02 KX are at least the "sturdier" BNG's & the new pipe coating, which is quite trick (although mine's suffered a bit of an abrasion).;)

dholder

Nov 7, 2001
As far as i know the 01 kx500 and the 02 are the same. The difference may be that you could get a smoking deal on a new 01 if you can find one. I bought my 01 new in july for $4000.00 :scream: I have owned kx500 now for 12 years and this is the best one so far.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Mine's great

My '02 KX500 is my first foray into the open class 2-stroke area and I love this bike. Much better than the Husabergs I own/have owned, and for what I ride - desert/trails - it's the perfect bike.

I don't have any experience with the CR500 or the earlier model KX500s, but I do know that the Service Manual for the KX covers models from 1989-2002. I thought I had ordered the wrong manual until I recognized that for the most part, the engines, etc. are the same.

I had the same aversion to Honda until Service Honda started building the CR500AF - this is one Honda I would be proud to own! I don't think you can go wrong with either the KX or the CR, and depending on your intended usage, any of the later models should be very similar and work well.

My .02

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
ghunter

What is it about your KX that you like better than your 'bergs? Just looking for some more insight.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Nephron,

The most influencial factor is cost and availability of parts - factory or aftermarket. Lack of supportive dealers is also a factor.

While the 'bergs are much more 'polished' than they were years ago, they still have some areas where fit and finish could be improved; no major flaws, just could be a bit better.

Also, the seating position is a bit cramped for me, and I'm only 5'9"; although my buddy loves to borrow one of my 'bergs and he's over 6' and has no complaints. Go figure:think

Other things that I dislike about the 'bergs:

1. Oil capacity - you MUST change the oil after every ride as the engine and trans share less than a qt. of oil.

2. Air filter/s - in order to access the filter or filters you must remove the seat, tank, and on the FX/FE models a little shield for the second filter.

3. Valvetrain design - the design of the factory cam/rocker cover makes it extremely difficult to get a feeler gauge in between the tappet and the valve stem to set the lash. As the factory valves stretch with use, this can be a frequent pain in the butt. Replacing the valves with aftermarket SS valves solves the stretching problem, but it's still a pain to adjust the lash, just not as frequent of a pain.

4. Fork seals - I cannot remember the number of times I've had to replace the fork seals on my 'bergs. It seems like twice a year for each bike. This could just be a problem with the way I wash the bike, but after the first few times I've been extremely careful to clean under the dust seals and check the fork tubes for nicks or scratches. When I've had the forks serviced the tubes have been checked for problems and never has anything been found to be a problem; they just go through seals quickly.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my 'bergs, and the KX has it's share of little issues as well; the exhaust pipe frame-mounts and ever-loosening bolts, just to start with. But for the type of riding that I do - desert/trails in SoCal - the KX is a better bike...FOR ME.

Although, on the top-end, either of my 'bergs will smoke almost any stock geared KX any day of the week and in any terrain. My lightly modified FX600 will pass it at mid throttle in 5th and still have 6th. My heavily modified FC501will almost keep up through the gears, will pass it at full throttle in 5th, and still have 6th gear. Just a gearing issue, I know. But changing the sprockets on my KX would remove the acceleration advantage that the KX boldly displays to most other bikes.

The 'bergs are also much more stable at speed than the KX. I have always used a Scotts Dampener on the 'bergs and move it to the KX when I ride it. Even without the dampener the 'bergs feel comfortable at speeds I would fear to go on the KX without a dampener.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions, but I feel like I'm rambling on and on.

Later,
GHunter

Top Bottom