02 YZ 250 wont start after adding flywheel weight. Please help.

thek

Mar 9, 2003
Hi,

I decided to add an sfb 9 oz flywheel weight to my 02 yz 250. got it on and tried to start it but it wont fire. I put in a new plug but still no joy.

It used to be a little hard to start when cold (maybe 5-6 kicks) but would always crank over eventually.

Any ideas?

thanks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That was a good one Gary! I highly doubt the extra weight has anything directly to do with your bike not starting. Its an 02, the list can be long. You need to check a few things, is it getting gas, air, and spark, and so on? When was the last time the float valve was replaced? You did not move the stator plate, the timing is still lined up? Vintage Bob

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Valve clearance? Ha ha ha!

Seriously, I wonder if you've somehow compromised the wire going to the stator? Exposed wire shorting out? Broken wire inside the insulation?

You could also check the coolant. Do you remember the old commercials where someone's car wouldn't start in the wintertime, and the punch line reminded them that they should have used the brand name antifreeze?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you check the easy stuff and if doesn't fire. Then do the obvious, remove the side cover with FWW in place and see what happens. If it starts then the FWW is causing some kind of clearance issue with the side cover you need to sort out (some require a spacer or extra gaskets to clear properly. If it still doesn't start you may need to remove the FWW to check the wires & airgap to the pickup anyway. The FWW is basically an inert part, it only adds weight it doesn't plug in to anything.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
plynn41 said:
I laughed because I thought you were telling a joke. He's got a YZ250 2-stroke--doesn't have valves.
I'm sure he ment the powervalve :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Patman said:
I'm sure he ment the powervalve :)

Seriously, about this time last year I had to get reading glasses.. They don't work.

You should see how big I have the font on my browser, it's huge..

Plus I'm a moron.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Actually he needs to check the reed valve clearance :) Maybe you aren't so stupid after all Indy!

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Hey, just to clarify--I wasn't intending to demean the man who wrote that he should check his valve clearance. I really thought he was trying to be funny, and I thought it was funny. Lord knows I put my foot in my mouth often enough.
But it's definitely a sign of the times that we now have to clarify YZ250 TWO STROKE. That will probably continue, so that anytime someone says they've got a CR250, we'll eventually assume it goes "thump-thump-thump", even though the CR250 TWO STROKE was here first!
You gotta love it!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Don't sweat it. This is the 2 stroke forum after all :laugh: We've all put our foot in our mouth, it's juts that some have put both feet in and others don't even know they've done it. Life's too short to worry about it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm just having fun watching Indy beat the crap out of himself over all of this. LOL. Good stuff Gary!

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
After checking those valves you might need to switch out your power-band. I bet the ypvs governor is killing your bike because the power-band is trying to make it 'hit' too soon, so you might want to switch to the yellow one instead of the red one. It sucks, but that's just the governor doing its job...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
IndyMX said:
I generally live most of the time with at least one foot in my mouth, this is no different.
we have 3 dogs again so I try to keep my feet out of my mouth :uh:

plynn41 said:
Hey, just to clarify--I wasn't intending to demean the man who wrote that he should check his valve clearance. I really thought he was trying to be funny, and I thought it was funny. Lord knows I put my foot in my mouth often enough.
!
I wouldn't worry about it Indy does a good enough job on himself without even trying

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
oldguy said:
we have 3 dogs again so I try to keep my feet out of my mouth :uh:

I wouldn't worry about it Indy does a good enough job on himself without even trying

This week has been stellar..

I'm sure there's a really fun thread in the Mod forum with my name all over it.. or at least there probably should be.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
plynn41 said:
That will probably continue, so that anytime someone says they've got a CR250, we'll eventually assume it goes "thump-thump-thump", even though the CR250 TWO STROKE was here first!

The first 250cc CR from Honda was built around 1962, and it had valves and they weren't reeds. ;)

pid470.jpg

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Ha! My dad was racing 4 stroke flat trackers before the smokers came into popularity.

And really, in the pro classes, the 4 stroke HD 750 has been the mainstay for decades.

1862 - Alphonse Beau de Rochas, a French civil engineer, patented but did not build a four-stroke engine (French patent #52,593, January 16, 1862).

1876 - The first successful two-stroke engine was invented by Sir Dougald Clerk.

Looks to me like thumpers came first.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats a fact Gary! We have come full circle, hopefully the first lap of many? Why on Earth I would have the compulsion to take that 62 CR for a ride? Love or a good near death experience? Curbs are under used berms! Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
The first 250cc CR from Honda was built around 1962, and it had valves and they weren't reeds. ;)

pid470.jpg
that is a really low profire tire on the front wheel. :laugh:

awsome bike. the finishing on that bike seems to be a contemporany hand built bike... that is indeed my wet dreams bike!
may i dare to ask who built it?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Honda is and always was into motorcycles for GP racing. The bike above is a factory race bike? Built by Mr. Honda? That's my guess, I was only 2 in 1962, dang it! Vintage Bob

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
helio lucas said:
that is a really low profire tire on the front wheel. :laugh:

awsome bike. the finishing on that bike seems to be a contemporany hand built bike... that is indeed my wet dreams bike!
may i dare to ask who built it?

Work of art IMO.

Top Bottom