02 YZ 250 wont start after adding flywheel weight. Please help.

thek

Mar 9, 2003
Patman said:
If you check the easy stuff and if doesn't fire. Then do the obvious, remove the side cover with FWW in place and see what happens. If it starts then the FWW is causing some kind of clearance issue with the side cover you need to sort out (some require a spacer or extra gaskets to clear properly. If it still doesn't start you may need to remove the FWW to check the wires & airgap to the pickup anyway. The FWW is basically an inert part, it only adds weight it doesn't plug in to anything.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. i pulled off the ignition cover (wasn't fouling) and tried to start without it on but still nothing.

I put in a new air filter too.

Could I have inadvertently messed up the timing? how do you set it back to its correct position?

its getting fuel and not really sure of the best way to check for spark. do you just take off the plug cap and hold a screwdriver near it while your kicking it to see if the spark jumps?

thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
thek said:
Thanks for the ideas everyone. i pulled off the ignition cover (wasn't fouling) and tried to start without it on but still nothing.

I put in a new air filter too.

Could I have inadvertently messed up the timing? how do you set it back to its correct position?

its getting fuel and not really sure of the best way to check for spark. do you just take off the plug cap and hold a screwdriver near it while your kicking it to see if the spark jumps?

thanks

At any time did you pull the stator off? or just the flywheel?

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
How to set it back. Yeah, that may be the issue no doubt. But you've learned something, avoid even loosening it, if you ever have to move the stator, mark it and maybe even take a picture. Maybe after you remove the flywheel, the spark will return? The flywheel may be physically grounding it out? Good luck.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
All you took off was the ignition cover, no big deal. Does it have points? Take the plug out of the cylinder, stick it into the cap, and lay the ground strap against the head. If the plug is good, it will spark. Vintage Bob

thek

Mar 9, 2003
IndyMX said:
At any time did you pull the stator off? or just the flywheel?

all i did was remove ignition cover, remove flywheel bolt, install weight (one of the ones that sits in position on the existing flywheel, no drilling etc) and re-tightened the bolt.

will check for spark now. seems like a good idea. :nod:

thek

Mar 9, 2003
IndyMX said:
You didn't take the flywheel off then huh?

nah I was trying to but it was stuck, but then I realised I wasn't supposed to remove it anyway, so I didnt.

thek

Mar 9, 2003
ok i just took off the spark plug lead and put a different plug on it so I could watch it spark. I kicked it over 5-10 times but saw no spark.

so i guess ive found the problem, now how to fix it?

im pretty crap with electrics so maybe ill have to farm this one out.

although any help is much appreciated just the same.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A multi tester and a shop manual for the bike. Or start throwing expensive electrical parts at it. All the connections are clean, all the grounds good, you did not knock the pick up out of spec, rotor key is not sheared, coil, stator, then the dreaded cdi box? Did you try dis-connecting the kill switch? Vintage Bob

thek

Mar 9, 2003
just to follow up on this; it ended up being the cdi magneto.

Top Bottom