Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
Hi folks- My bone stock bike has 40 hours on it and it runs perfect. I've finally felt that I don't want to take anymore chances. I've never even adjusted the valves. Nothing but oil changes and filter cleanings. I am thankful and embarrassed of mt neglect. I called a local repair shop guy who suggested the normal timing chain, valves, springs, piston, rings, and oil pump replacement. But I was surprised to hear him say that these bikes are known for bad cranks and that I'd need a rebuild or replacement of it as well.
Have you heard this?

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
Ive never heard that, and you don't need to replace your oil pump unless its shot, you probably don't need a piston, just check all your stuff and see if its alright

sparkyz

Sep 5, 2006
Hey, I just bought an 03 yz450f that was seized up. I got it apart to find out that it is the lower connecting rod bearing. The previous owner had said he religiosly checked and changed the oil. I have been looking into it for quite a few days and it does seem that crank problems are pretty common on the 03's and also on the 426's. The problem is if you decide to replace the crank your looking at another $250 for the crank plus a complete gasket set (double the price of the top end set) and then who knows how much extra labor to split the cases.

Top Bottom