300bav

Nov 14, 2003
I have just sold my 01 520 exe. I want something lighter for the riding here in alabama. I was going to buy a 03 but, then I heard about all the changes on the 04 300exe. Is it worth buying the new one? Any info will help..
thanks

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
you mean exc? if that's what you're talking about, i would definitely buy the '04. i have an '02, and the motor is just a heck of a lot nicer for my riding style on the '04, plus it carburates much cleaner and easier and smoother, and it feels significantly lighter.

if you can get a killer deal on an 03, that might be a good idea too, but it wouldn't be enough to move me from my 02. i'm holding out for the new motor.
-mw

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I came off from an '02 400 MXC, bought an '04 300 MXC, just can't imagine that it gets better than my new one. It handles great, turns great, lots of power, feels a lot lighter than my RFS, I love this bike!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
One words sums up the reason to buy the '04 and only an '04.

SUSPENSION

I would not consider an '03 with all the good things I here about the '04. The '03 will take major $$ to make it equal to the '04 suspension-wise.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
here's another good reason: lighter weight. the '04 is several lbs. lighter, & you can feel every gram of the diference.

300bav

Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for all the info. One more question? Why would I want the exe over the mxc? Looks like they put the 5 speed in the mxc.

thanks

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I picked the MXC because I do HS's no enduro's I really didn't need the lights and I prefer the close ratio transmission for HS racing, it is an SX transmission.

The bike does feel very, very light. One of my riding buddies has an '03 KX250, the katoom feels lighter, is easier to ride in the tight stuff, definitely feels thineer, handles better and when out in the open has lots more power.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The gearbox is solely personal preference. My KTM is close ratio, my WR is wide ratio (WR-imagine that!). I like the KTM gearbox MUCH better for my type of riding. I think your preference will depend on ability and conditions.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
the 04 motor is based on the 03 mx engine that rocks. In 04 the whole bike got the sx style treatment that was new for 03 sx's. what all of this translates to is being the best off road motorcyle made. this is coming from someone that ownes a sweet gas gas 300.
the 04 ktm 300 is a smooth sx big bore that is a stroke 2 drive.
If you are a serious off roader. this is the one for you.

Don Schmidt

Feb 16, 2003
I have also purchased a 04 300 exc. We ride very tight woods, rocks and roots of southern Indiana. I have found the wide ratio gear box to be too wide between first and second. I am going to go down 1 tooth on the frt. sprocket. My buddies tell me this will may first gear too low. However, second and third will be just right for tight woods. If you were FASSSSST, the stock gearing and running in second (with a little clutch work) would be great. Has anyone else tried this.

magic don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I believe that stock gearing is 13/50 and I don't think you can get a 12T front. Thats kinda small anyway. Suggestion is try a 51 or 52 rear. If you use a 51 I know the stock chain will fit.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
short version: it's sweet, man! long version: i posted a big 1 on ktmtalk; rather than retype it all, i'll go over there & bump it back up & update it when i get a few minutes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom