Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
Here she Blows...
klx.jpg

AZRickD

Jun 6, 2006
Well, at least Kawasaki hasn't totally abandoned the trail.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23september06_klx450r.htm

Looks like they've tuned it as a purpose-built off-roader, kinda-maybe like the KDX in 4T trim.

Kawasaki engineers have combined revisions in cam lift and timing in order to boost low and mid-range torque. Adding to the special characteristics of this engine are a heavier flywheel with double the mass of the KX450F’s unit and a wide-ratio five-speed transmission with gears that have been specifically selected for off-road competition.

The Kayaba AOS inverted fork provides superb damping and steering precision with tuning specifically optimized for light, easy handling characteristics. Oil and air are kept in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long events and low-friction seals contribute to smooth fork action.

The KLX450R’s chassis has been specially set-up to be nimble while negotiating narrow trails or maneuvering between rocks and trees.

In fact, a fully-equipped KLX450R only weighs about 22 pounds more than the KX450F.
:shock:

But can you imagine these mechanicals with a torquey (ie, not a KX-like) 250 or 300 2-stroke? Call it a KDX 300? :)

Ain't gonna happen... which is why after a couple of years, my next bike will likely be a KTM 250 or 300.

G-Train

Mar 28, 2005
:bang: I was actually going after the newest KTM 250EXCF myself but, the 08 KLX450 definatly has my attention. I'm gonna wait it out and see how the reviews and pricing come in.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
I was checking out a KLX300 at one of the shops in town and its a sweet looking bike. I thought it was pretty comfortable as well. But like the others have said, my next bike will mostely be a KTM 250. I rode a friends of mine and its amazing.

Top Bottom