$100 bike To fix or not to fix.

Hierro

Sep 24, 2006
I just picked up an 85 yz250 for $100. The best thing I can say about it is with the exception of the left Radiator shroud and half of the front brake lever it's all there. Now the things I know so far:
-Clutch actuator rod is cracked right where the clutch cable attatches.
-Kickstarter only catches every 5-6 kicks.
-Carb is way out of adjustment because after 2 kicks Gas starts pouring out around the Head pipe at the Cylinder.
-Bars bent and bolt broken off in the triple clamp.
-Left radiator pretty mangled.
-Rear rim cracked
-Plastic is cracked and scratched.

Things I was told:

-Fairly new clutch (no reciepts to prove it.)
-It runs if you get all the stars to align and kick the carb just right. He told me he tried adjusting it but had no idea what he was doing.
-Third gear is toast.

Should I even bother trying to get it ridable. I don't want to spend more than $4-500 right now. I just want to be able to play around on it for now, not racing it. And I have a contact that owns a car tranny shop that thinks he can fix the trannie/ kickstarter problem in trade for some electrical work.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Sounds like a money pit. I'd part it out unless you've got the money to spend and that's what you enjoy doing.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
You can clean the carburetor completely and meticulously for free. Perhaps you can get it properly adjusted for free as well. Considering zero expenditure, it would be worth it to see what you've got after you get it running better. It never hurts to do as much as you can to get the dust and cobb webs off before you decide what lies under all the years of disuse. Just don't go off half cocked and start throwing money at it.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
sounds like you'd be over your 500$ limit to get this one going. part it out and use those funds to buy a running beater bike.

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
Hierro said:
-It runs if you get all the stars to align and kick the carb just right. He told me he tried adjusting it but had no idea what he was doing.

LOL...at least he was honest. It does sound like a heep of work. If you're no too busy then go for it. I fixed up a PW80 that was in way better condition and I kinda wish I didn't. I did the same thing with a TRX250 and I definately wish I didn't!

Hierro

Sep 24, 2006
Forgot to add.

I forgot to add that I'm pretty handy with tools and the clymer manual is on the way. About parts, I've seen most of what I assume I will need on Eb*y, and could probably get them all for around $350-400. My original plan was a 2 stroke wr250 or a ktm exc, or convert a kx 500, but the wife said she'd leave me if I bought another Bike right after buying the Shee. So I was thinking I could get this thing running until I could justify getting the bike I want. What could I expect to get out of it if I parted it out?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I bet you'd get around a grand if you parted it out. Then add in the $500 that you were going to spend and you could buy yourself that KX500.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hierro said:
I forgot to add that I'm pretty handy with tools and the clymer manual is on the way. but the wife said she'd leave me if I bought another Bike QUOTE]

Well, there's a good reason to buy it right there. :whoa: :yikes: OH NO!!!! Just kiddin. ;)

For a hundred bucks, buy it, take it all apart and learn all you can about how it works. My first bike was a box job. Never did get it to run but I learned a lot by taking it apart and back together again. That was many years ago and I still consider it a good investment since I learned from it. If you can't get it to run you can sell the wheels or front end for more than $100.00. If you can get it to run, that's even better.

If it has gearbox problems, that can be very expensive depending upon how many gears are damaged. If you have the manual on it's way, sounds like you have already made your decision. Good luck, :cool: (with the bike, can't help you with the wife.)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have to agree with Ol'89r here...
You already know what you are going to do.

Just what you learn, by figuring out if indeed it is a fixable ride or not, is invaluable.
If all you want to do is ride, then I'd suggest finding a running ride and go for it.
But, if you are really looking down the road at a nice new dirtbike, I would think putting some real love into the old beater, along with a few busted knuckles, would show the Mrs. that you truely have a passion for these contraptions. Maybe it will cause her to sway in favor of you actually throwing down the coin for a top shelf bike.

Wives are funny, man...they are always grading you in some fashion or another...
(lol) keep that in mind. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom