exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
im sure some of you guys have had to replace your plug on a 01 250 e/xc to the tune of 12 bucks! it seems to be just that model? seeing that im riding this winter and having some jetting issues its gettin kinds pricy.does anyone know whats so special about this plug(br8ecm) and has anyone replaced it with something different for maybe 2 or 3 bucks like the old days? thanks

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
use the br8es as a standard plug aprox $2 and br8eg as a performance
plug which most auto parts stores can get for approx$3.50

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
You can use the BR8ES, but you will need to double up on the O-rings on the plug. The BR8ECM is a compact version of the BR8ES, I think. One O-ring will not be enough to seal out the dirt.
Little Jeff
PS- What are your jetting specs now (main jet, pilot jet and needle w/clip position? I'm getting that JDJetting guide from James Dean sometime tonight via-mail. Maybe I can help you with your jetting once I figure out how to use it.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
originally 170-45 2nd clip 2 turns on air with good performance. for the cold weather(30-40 deg) i went 178-45 2nd clip it seemed good for 1 race. next race it seemed a little rich.i went to ride a few days later and it wouldnt start,plug fouled. replaced 12$ plug and jetted 175-42 2nd clip.the following ride it ran good for 2-3 miles and got real ragged running acted like it was rich,didnt foul the plug but wouldnt idle or run strong,basically had to really stay on top of it to keep it running at all.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
maybe possible i got some bad fuel or maybe some water? there was deep snow,maybe a foot or so. thanks for any advice

B

biglou

I forget the NGK number (I think it's the BR8EG plug mentioned above) but the stock number is #3130. They are the fine-wire plugs and go for $3.30 here at AutoZone or O'Reilly's. As for the O-ring, go to your kTm dealer and get the "O-Ring" for a 200cc bike. They have a "skirt" that comes down and covers the hole in the head on the bigger bikes. Cost is about $2.50. :thumb:

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
I don't know why you get such high prices in the states. When I'm going to mess with jetting, i just get the cheap BR8ES for $2, and when I get the jetting straight, I use the original BR8ECM bought at the KTM dealer for $4

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
exc rider, have you checked your float height? Make sure both floats are even, btw, fairly common to have 'em off a little out of the box.
I run 180 main, 45 pilot, (175 & 42 for warm weather high elevation), CEK #3 needle on my '00. There's more options for the needle, DDK & something else, might work even better, the standard neeedles just plain suck. Make sure your s/a packing isn't plugged, if you're fouling plugs, it very well may be, set your floats, then your pilot screw, then jetting.
Oh yeah, twist your throttle to the stops every once in a while, makes pumpkins big time happy!

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
the OEM plug is spec'd because,1: it has a low profile, facilitating easier plug changing and 2: It has a low angle straight ground electrode.. THe weakest part of the plug is the 90° bend on the ground electrode. This means that if it is going to break it will break there. Some KTM engineer has decided that this is an issue, as I wouldn't want a piece of a plug falling into my cylinder.. Personally, I have never heard of an electrode failure..

Here is a link that explains the numbers on the NGK plugs
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf

ethan

Jan 15, 2003
My '01 300exc is running much better since I leaned it out. 168-35, middle clip position on NOZH. 2 turns out. Golden Spectro at 50:1 on trails and 40:1 in desert.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
My 98 125SX plug cost $20 I recieved a rude awakening just after I bought it. I went to the parts counter and asked for a box of plugs, the parts guy asked if I was sure, Ouch, needless to say I bought 2.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Thank Rich for that one :worship:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Interesting thread.

I came off a YZF that I changed the plug in once a year whether it needed it or not. I was a bit wary when I returned to the two-stroke brotherhood and bought a new 300 EXC about a year ago. I was afraid of the old plug fouling that use to accompany my rides.

When I went to but some spare plugs to carry with me I was floored by the $13.00 price tag (what did I get myself into!). Being one to light a candle rather than curse the darkness I came up with a plan. I decided to carry for spares the BR8ES with the idea that if I indeed fouled a plug I would swap out the original for the cheaper one if needed on a ride and then layout the cash for the original when I get back to the ranch.

Well it has been one year and the cheap plugs are still in my tool bag. I have never had to touch the original. Now as I did with the YZF I am going to change my plug now even though it does not need it and carry the old one for a spare. I think $13.00/year for a plug is not bad at all.

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
I was at O'Reilly's buying some plugs for my C'Dale the other day and happened to ask them if they carried a BR8ECM for my 300MXC. The guy looked it up in his computer under what ever the code is for the stock plug (3131 or 3130 or something like that) and said they could order it and they would be here the next day. $6.50 Done deal! Bought four. You might want to call an O'Reilly's and ask. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom