csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Hi, im going to look at and possibly pickup a 1996 RMX250 tomorrow, the bike has a totally rebuilt engine done by a machine shop. the bike is going to cost me 600$obo. he said it needs

-wheel bearings
-break pads

runs and goes great he says.

this is my first watercooled bike, how do i check if the water pump works?

I currently ride a 1988 KDX 200, and i like the power delivery of this bike, how will the RMX compare?

i like the 2 stroke power of the kdx, but i also like how it doesnt have an extreame power band and is controlable in the woods.

if the kdx 200 works for me will the RMX work?

im just looking for a newer bike, and a little more power.

thanks!

thanks!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I have never ridden an RMX but from talking to friends that had them and remembering the reviews in the magazines if this bike is in good shape (properly rebuilt) you will probably like it.

They were pretty mellow stock but are easy to hop up with RM parts.

Many considered these the ultimate woods bikes until Suzuki and the other Japanese companies stopped updating their off-road two strokes leaving things to KTM and Gasgas.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The RMX is a fine trail bike, IMO. Decent power but friendly, good handling, does lots of things well and nothing badly.

Placelast may check in with more info - he has had several and knows a lot about them. I've ridden his a few times and really liked them.

Like all bikes, how well it is set up and maintained will make a big difference in your enjoyment.

If the RMX is dialed in anywhere close to its potential, it will be more powerful and better suspended than your '88 KDX, and probably weighs only a little more.

IMO, if you like your '88 KDX, you will love the RMX. It has a good size tank, is pretty easy on gas, is comfortable to ride for long periods, etc...

At $600, that's a fine price, even if you have to spend a few hundred on the wheel bearings and the brakes.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
CSDwarf
Rule #1, dont trust anything anybody says about a used bike unless you know them or they have paperwork proving the work and the bike runs flawlessly.
Rule #2 Know what you are looking for..there are alot of tale tale signs of a high milage bike.
Rule #3 Refer to rule #1

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
dirt bike dave said:
The RMX is a fine trail bike, IMO. Decent power but friendly, good handling, does lots of things well and nothing badly.

Placelast may check in with more info - he has had several and knows a lot about them. I've ridden his a few times and really liked them.

Like all bikes, how well it is set up and maintained will make a big difference in your enjoyment.

If the RMX is dialed in anywhere close to its potential, it will be more powerful and better suspended than your '88 KDX, and probably weighs only a little more.

IMO, if you like your '88 KDX, you will love the RMX. It has a good size tank, is pretty easy on gas, is comfortable to ride for long periods, etc...

At $600, that's a fine price, even if you have to spend a few hundred on the wheel bearings and the brakes.

ive been pricing stuff out, and it doesnt seem that wheel bearings and brakes would cost much at all.

my dad owns a machine shop, and i'm very mechanically able, so changing little things like that are not a problem.

but i am curious of some signs to look for to tell high mileage.

thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On the chassis, look for bad linkage bearings, swingarm bearings and steering head bearings. You can check these by putting the bike on a stand and checking for play in directions there should not be any.

Look at the bottom of the frame rails under the motor - lots of damage from slamming into rocks?

Dented rims or true?

Bars straight?

Swingarm all scratched up?

The big ticket item is does it need a new crankshaft and crank bearings, but it sounds like that may have been taken care of, unless the shop just did a top end.

For $600 I don't think you should be too picky, though. It's a good bike for trail riding, but lots of riders want newer MX bikes, so that's why it is cheap.

Oh, and make sure the paperwork is good. You don't want a stolen bike!

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
he said the hole engine has been gone through, new crank bearings, new connecting rod bearings, new connecting rod, new seals and a new sleeve aswell as topend.

ill just for that stuff, but yeah for 600$ i have to overlook some stuff, i might have to replace a bearing or a bushing here of there.

i think if it runs good, and goes good, for 600$ i cant really compain.

thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Crank bearings just eventually wear out, but they can also fail from lack of lubrication.

The only time I had one let go was on a CR250 where I was hauling on a road top gear for a few miles, then rolled off the throttle without pulling in the clutch. Hight temps + high speed without any cooling fuel and lubricating oil resulted in failure. It was rider error, and an expensive lesson.

He may have replaced them for preventative maintenance, or there may have been a failure. As far as I know, there is not a widespread problem on the RMX.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
when slowing down from a long haul on a fireroad ect, whats the right procedure to keep the engine lubricated ect.

pull the clutch - rev it a couple times - and let it idle down?

what does the rmx 250 run for oil mixture? 32:1?

on trips were you gas up at pumps how do people normally do it? just carry oil with them? dump it in the tank then pump gas?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Lots of different opinions on oil and ratio, but IMO 32:1 is nice and safe for a 250 trail bike.

Yes, pulling in the clutch after sustained top gear heavy load wide open runs should be fine. Its the combo of high heat, lots of revs and little fuel you need to be careful of with a 2 stroke on the road. Should not be a problem off road where you are off and on the gas.

FWIW, I dual sported KDX's for years and never had a problem. When I blew up my CR, I was chasing guys on wide ratio bikes and we were topped out on a flat straight road for a long time. I rolled off the power to give the bike a rest, lol. By depriving the fuel and oil but stll going max speed and rpm, the crank bearings and big rod bearing overheated very fast.

When I dual sported two strokes, I would bring oil in some small clear 8 oz rubbermaid bottles with tight screw top lids I got at the groucery store, and marked for ounces. I would ball park estimate the amount of fuel I needed, calculate the oil I needed (4 oz per gallon is 32:1), dump it in first, then add fuel. As the tank got near full, I'd add any more oil if it was needed.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
so you dont really take any longer then a 4 stroke to gas up.

when i read about dirtbikes being good in the tight woods, what does that mean? like are there any videos on youtube that are a good example of tight woods?

i would just like to compare the average idea of "tight woods" to what i consider tight

thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
dirt bike dave said:
When I dual sported two strokes, I would bring oil in some small clear 8 oz rubbermaid bottles with tight screw top lids I got at the groucery store, and marked for ounces. I would ball park estimate the amount of fuel I needed, calculate the oil I needed (4 oz per gallon is 32:1), dump it in first, then add fuel. As the tank got near full, I'd add any more oil if it was needed.

If you ever do this, close the petcock before you dump in any oil or gas to mix in your tank. I generally try to avoid mixing in my tank because accidentally getting a carb bowl full of either all oil or all gas can lead to bad things.

I consider "tight" woods single-track with trees close enough I have to sometimes duck or lean to avoid hitting limbs or trunks with my head or handlebars. As the old saying goes, "I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it."

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
when i read about dirtbikes being good in the tight woods, what does that mean? like are there any videos on youtube that are a good example of tight woods?

i would just like to compare the average idea of "tight woods" to what i consider tight

About like this. I think trail 199 starts at about 8 minutes in. THAT is tight :)

http://vimeo.com/6765570

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
If it has been sleeved that means there was a one-time piston/ring scoring or exhaust valve-induced damage the bore enough to need replacing; a sleeve is a less-costly venue and not optimum for heat transfer (aluminum to steel to aluminum to water jacket) as is less efficient than the standard NiCr coated-Al bore. Also piston and ring wear is different. I'd pass on the bike if money now is not an object; in the long run it will end up costing you more than paying for a standard, non-sleeved cylinder.

If it needs bearings and brake pads then it has been ridden in wet/muddy conditions often. In dry conditions these parts last a long time.

The only known problem was the water-pump seal on the first-year model, 1989. There are few reports of broken exhaust valves but I have or have owned six and none have eaten a valve; I know five other owners - two were raced/flogged a few years - and none have experienced valve failures.

The RMX is like a KDX200 with more power everywhere moreover way better, high-quality suspension. It is rather straight forward to get more (almost RM) power out of an RMX with a pipe and head gasket, and a bit involved to do the same out of a KDX by porting and a pipe - it has a lower ceiling. The KDX is more like a snappy and lighter XR250; durable and strongly built to last though that comes at a price in lesser performance. An RMX was robustly built for national-caliber enduros and ISDE events. I rarely replace parts, and had to more often on my KDX as they were made of cheaper castings with more economy/budget in mind (lesser quality). So you do get what you pay for.

We do not know where you live/ride though in a general sense if you are doing tight single track in 1-2 gear then the KDX has the edge; if mostly 2nd and beyond the RMX is superior. I've owned both. The KDX is a play bike which could be raced and the RMX is a race bike which could be trail ridden.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
i didnt end up buying it, i got a ktm 250 exc.

i live in Maine, and theres alot of woods, no so much nice dirtbike trails(looks alot like that video he posted, trail 199) but alot of just woods.

does anyone know the rules about riding around a town(to get gas) or driving down the road some( to connect trails) in maine?

thanks

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
It depends on how cool your police are, whether you are on the road 5 miles or 500 ft. My guess is that if you get caught riding on any public road, you will be SOL...which may or may not include confiscation of your bike and some very hefty fines..no motorcycle license, no regisration, no insurance, non street legal bike. Simply put...dont do it.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
no insurance, i probably will have my motorcycle license, because i'm going to get it here in a few months.

the cops are fine with snowmobiles in the winter , but i havn't done any dirt biking trips, but this year i want to.

I don't wana drive down the road, i just want to come off a trail and go down the road to get gas, so I could probably talk myself out of it.

thanks

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Alright, i just spent like to much time looking , but I think i found it.

A.A properly registered ATV may be operated on a public way only the distance necessary, but in no case to exceed 500 yards, on the extreme right of the traveled way for the purpose of crossing, as directly as possible, a public way, bridge, overpass, underpass, sidewalk or culvert as long as that operation can be made safely and does not interfere with traffic approaching from either direction on the public way.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That is quite lenient, but I guess it depends how rural your location is. If what you said it true, I wouldnt worry about it...ride. Here in the city, its a different story.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The rules for ATV seem to be more lenient than for bikes...not sure why. I'd check with your local PD to be sure and if they do say it's OK, don't take advantage of it. I konw there are some small towns that have no problems with dirt bikes on the road but all it takes is one bad apple to ruin it for everyone.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
atv's often times get fudged into farm implements or yard maintenance equipment..... or so I am led to beleive when my dirt bike got stolen out of my garage and was not covered by my insurance and yet the nieghbors quad was ?

a few of the older KTM I thought came with a title since they where a small company that didnt meet the criteria of bikes sold and didnt have to meet all the legal mumbo jumbo the bigger companies had to....

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I live in a very small town, we have 1 Sheriff, no town police.

there is my town and another town(bigger then mine) that are kinda together, with a total population of just over 1500.

i cant imagine even being able to ride a dirtbike in the city without trucking it.

my dad owns 100ish acres of land around my area(withing 20mins) and my best friends grandfauther owns 200 acres right down the street from me( i live about 1/4 into the woods) with 40 acres around my house.

its all woods in tree growth, so there are some trails. but mostly just powerlines and woods.

Top Bottom