Tusk

Apr 5, 2006
Brand new owner of a 2003 KDX220R and it's my first 2 stroke bike. I'm a 20 year street rider and do all my own maintainence, however I have a few newbie questions as well as interest in doing the maintainence on this bike when it comes. I'll be doing some riding with my son (14) and am a safety freak.

So I've got some reading to do. I google/yahoo as much as I can for most of this...

Instead of bombarding you dirt vets with stuff, might any of you folks have any links to sites that explain some of basics of 2 stroke riding and maintainence?

One of my possible dumb questions is "Do you have to warm up a 2-stroke?" :think:

Another would be understanding the function of power reeds..

Thanks for the time.

Mark

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Yes , you do have to warm them up nice and slowly...especially if it has a Wiesco piston in it.
Also , use a very good 2 -stroke oil , it will make the carbon build up less and provide longer life between rebuilds.If you don't , its like burning green wood in your woodstove , sure it burns , but its killin' your chimney, so use the good stuff .

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
robwbright said:
http://www.ericgorr.com/twostktech/twostroketech.html

Buy this book - the first one on the page - pretty much everything you need to know. Get a service manual for your bike as well.

http://www.ericgorr.com/books/books.html

How much of " Motocross & Off-Road Performance Handbook" is 2-stroke specific? From the info on Motobooks.com it contains info on the CR's.

Has anyone read either "The High-Performance Two-Stroke Engine" by Dixon (ISBN 1844250458) or "Two-Stroke Performance Tuning" by Bell (ISDN 1859606199). They are both published by Motorbooks and look real similar based on the descriptions on motorbooks.com. I've heard the Bell book is supposedly a classic (albeit focused on 125GP but makes off road mention) but couldn't find any reviews of the Dixon book.

Or does Eric Gorr's book give you everything you need to know about 2stroke motors, reeds, jetting, etc.

Tony

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
crazybrit said:
How much of " Motocross & Off-Road Performance Handbook" is 2-stroke specific? From the info on Motobooks.com it contains info on the CR's.

Or does Eric Gorr's book give you everything you need to know about 2stroke motors, reeds, jetting, etc.

Tony

Eric's book is a great supplement to a service manual.

There is one chapter on 4 stroke technology. The rest is on either 2 strokes or dirt bikes in general.

There is also a separate 5-10 paragraph section on each generation of bikes and the best mods for each generation - i.e. for the 01-06 RM 125, or the 99-02 KX250.

It has tips on how to rebuild top ends and bottom ends, suspension set up and modification, etc . . . It even tells you the best way to replace your graphics kit.

Check on Amazon for more info and a lower price on a new/used one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07..._1/002-3627890-0163206?_encoding=UTF8&s=books

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom