KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Hi Girls,

Well I have been made an offer to sell my bike (actually more than I paid for it) so I am just tossing round the idea of selling it and buying a brand newie. I really really love my KDX 2 stroke, and not sure what I could actually get to replace it. So I thought Id get a few suggestions. The 3 bikes I am considering most are actually all very different and I am unsure whether to stick with 2 strokes (I LOVE 2 STROKES!) or follow the crowd an invest in a 4 stroke. The 3 bikes I am considering are a KTM200, WR250F or a YZ250WR. Or should I maybe just keep the KDX???
Do any of you girls ride these bikes and if so what do you think about them? I need to get a registerable model for enduros but something versatile for mx as well. Decisions decisions!!!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Tell me more about the YZ250WR--is that a two stroke or four? I think that may be a model we don't get in the states.

Personally, I'd stick with 2 strokes and go to the KTM. But then I'm biased. The WR250F is going to be super heavy compared to what you are used to, and the weight of four strokes feels like it is higher up than on a two stroke, which makes them feel tippier.

Of course get a chance to ride them all if you can first, that will help your decision a lot.

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
The YZ250WR is a 2 stroke. We don't get a lot of the models other countries get. But we did get the TTR-125 Before they did, Weird!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by cmott
The YZ250WR is a 2 stroke. We don't get a lot of the models other countries get. But we did get the TTR-125 Before they did, Weird!

So is it like an off-road model? Big tank, 18" rear tire, wide ratio gearing, etc? What are the differences between it and the YZ?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
They also have the DT230 still, why oh why not in the USA !!!

I would love to have the YZ250WR - what a cool bike, also very light - street legal YZ250 - so sweet :) - has a 19 inch rear wheel - odd for an enduro bike ?!

Do you get Gas Gas in Oz - may want to check out the EC200 or even a Pampera.

Still, you can't go wrong with the KDX :thumb:

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I have ridden the KDX 200 and 220, and have also owned a KTM 200 MXC. I originally wanted to get a WR250F, but decided against it after my husband read some reports on it, and from word of others. First, the bikes you are considering are very different from the KDX. Of course, I do not know what type of mod's you currently have on the KDX, however, if it is stock, or close to that--these bikes are much more pipey. I love the KTM 200, very very light, and can have lots of low end if you change the sprocket etc. Even when I was worn out I could pick it up. The WR250F is supposed to be harder to start and very performance oriented. I absolutely love 4 strokes--the power is very smooth, and the engine braking works great for downhills, however, there is the weight factor. When you are dead tired---will you be able to pick it up? Can you start it after you dump it? All things to consider. Good luck with your decision.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Reports I have are that the 03 WR250F's are very easy to start. Didn't they make the same changes as the 03 YZ250F's (which are super easy to start)? In any case with the 03's having the e-start I would think that'd be a non-issue.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
An '03 WR250F does have an electric start, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've ridden my husband's and have no problem with the weight - though I ride a DRZ250 and it's about the same, weight-wise, it's just that the WR250F feels more powerful. I'd try to get your hands on the bikes you're considering and test them out.

Personally I really like the 4 stroke - I like the engine braking in particular on downhills. And I've had no problem picking my bike up (got plenty of practice in the last few weeks).

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Hi KDX Girl,
All the bikes you are looking at will probably be terrific. But if you really like your KDX I personally would just keep that. You know you like it, and you are familiar with it. A KDX is a great all around bike, it is light, fast, and powerful. Even if you will get more money than you paid for your KDX I would still keep it, what if you sell it and decide you don't like the new bike you buy? I guess I am a little biased, though. Try to ride some different bikes and see if you like them before you buy them and read some reviews on them. Go for whatever bike you think you would like the best, after all you only live once!!!

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
I actually just heard about a Gas Gas for the first time on the weekend but I have never actually seen one befre or heard of anyone who has ridden one.

The weight of the bike will be a concern. Specially trying to pick up and start a 4 stroke during a long mx race! I love e start but that obviously adds even more weight.

The YZ250WR are an excellent bike but I am told they are very very fast, plus will put me up in class in mx.

I didnt realise u guys had different models, I though we all basically got the same?? guess not!

Yeah we do have the DT230 here and they are also a nice bike, excellent for beginners, not to big, not too small but not what I am looking for!

I am doing a 2 day riding academy day but Steve Gall in 2 weeks and I have lined up a spin on a KTM200 and a wr250 so that will give me more of an idea!

As for keeping the KDX, it is a very very real option!

kdxchick

Feb 23, 2003
Hi kdx girl the wr250s are very high but are very popular were i live and if you look at any motobike magazine that is all they rave about ...do you want to road register it ? if you do go the wr if its only for the track go the yz i have only heard about the yzF which is a fast four stroke ....
i have a 2001 kdx 200 .with a pro circuit pipe ....very nice fast bike. nice and lite

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have a '90 YZ250WR (for sale) and love the thing but it was getting old and I wanted a new bike. I didn't want a 4-S so that left KTM, Gas Gas and Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is a good bike and a lot cheaper then the other two. Anyway not sure if this helps much but the 90 verson is fast and it sounds like they have kept the idea of a minimalist off road bike alive down under. The bike in the states evolved into a WR 250 2-S in 91 or 92. It is not overwelming with  a little throttle control and if it were available in the states I would have bought it, instead of the KDX220 (sorry cdave :eek: )). And street legal besides, you have no idea how good you have it!

Kevin

Top Bottom