KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I found out recently that I may be moving to the Sacramento, CA area due to my job. I currently ride a KX250. I was thinking about buying a new KTM 300 XC. If I did, would I be able to ride it anywhere I wanted in California? I have heard that Cali is strict on 2 strokes. I never paid much attention until I found out I'll be likely moving out that way. Should I buy a 450 instead?

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Because your bike is older than a 2003, you will get a green sticker which means that you will be able to ride year round at all of the parks. Many places however will require that you have a spark arrester. There are many places near Sac. You will LOVE it.

Good luck with the move!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Two strokes and most racing 4 strokes 2003 and newer are supposed to get a red registration sticker. Some areas do not allow red sticker operation during summer months. As a general rule, areas far away from population centers are open to red stickers year round.

I'll see if I can find a link with a map of the riding areas and red-sticker closure dates.

There is plenty of great riding in the mountains east of Sacramento - you will love it.

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/

if you want a green sticker for a 2-stroke, it has to be a 2002 or older....2003 and on 2-strokes are red sticker....to ride at state off road parks you need a sticker, and red stickered bikes can only ride in these parks roughly from November until May (or maybe April)....at many private riding areas it doesn't matter....

it's strange out here in calif (or as some call it the "Peoples Republic of California")....honda, yamaha, suzuki and kawasaki motocross bikes are red stickered....but the honda crf450x and the yamaha wr450 (and some of the KTM enduro models as well as the Husqvarna TE's) are green sticker.

its all very confusing at first...but sadly a new 2-stroke is red sticker...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
The 300 is a sweet bike, you'll be happy with it. Honestly, I 've never had much trouble w either Green or Red sticker bikes, but I mostly enter local desert races. I'm sure some of the Offroad parks may be more strick.
FYI my friend bought a new GG 300 2 stroke and got a Green Sticker. Why? I don't know. He bought one and was surprised when a green sticker showed up.

If you really wan the trick set up, and are thinking four stroke. Buy a new KTM 4 stroke EXC. They come w a street plate. :cool:

Top Bottom