munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Is anyone using their 200 sx for harescrambles or enduros.
I've been thinking of getting a 200 for these types of riding and just looking for some input from anyone with experience with this bike.
Any info would be great
Thanks
Munch

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Wish I had an SX, but my .02 is that all models need personal suspension set-up so why not go with the lightest 200 model. The powerband would have less bottom and it runs one ring. You could go with thinner base gasket to increase the bottom once you perform the 1st top-end job.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
My buddy just got the 200SX to compliment his 200EXC and I was amazed at the difference in the power characteristics! Ther SX feels like it has much more power. I thought the 5-speed would be a dis-advantage but I don't think so now. It pulls each gear fine and there's a broader spread of the powerband.
At the local track I'd have to shift the EXC a bunch more times and it was harder to keep on the power-band. In my mind the SX is better all the way around (though admittedly I'm coming from a 300 so I know I'm lazier about shifting-that's why I liked the SX so much more....)

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Thanks for the input! I'm currently riding an 01 250sx and have been happy with it but i think the weight and power of the 200sx sound very appealing.
I agree with the suspension work, it needs to be set up for the individual, but after spending a load on a new bike some of us just have to learn to live with the stock ride for a while.

Thanks Again

Munch

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
mr taber showed me some thing bad about the 200sx and woods riding
racing which is the pipe hangs very low and the way it is shaped
a good smack on a log and the pipe would pop out of the cylinder

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Agitt,

I stopped in there last night and that seemed like the only down fall to this bike. The pipe hangs ata stange angle and seems pretty vulnerable.

Are you riding this weekend? I'm going to Geneseo and possibly Gusse's on Monday, maybe i'll see you there.

Munch

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
KDX,

How was the fit and the performance? The pipe comes out at a different angle compared to the MXC and EXC. but i'm sure you could get it to fit.
Thanks for the info.

Munch

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
A guy in the club I belong to has a stock exc pipe on his sx and it appears to fit fine. I haven't ridden the bike but from watching him ride it must perform pretty good. He always kills them at the start at harescrambles and hasn't lost a race since he got the bike.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Thanks KDX,

Thats what i'm looking for. heading to the dealer tonight to try to work a deal.
I own a 98 200 exc,always had good starts with it. Started riding th 250 SX
and my starts have suffered but they have been improving.
Hopefully be on a new ride by next week!

Thanks again
Munch

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Munch, Good bike might be better advancing the Ign timing a bit instead of running thin base gasket. If you do use a thin base gasket do yourself a favor and buy the Cometic kit that now comes with rubber laminated steel base and front PV cover gaskets. Ive seen two or three 200s suck paper base gaskets. Be careful not to strip out the oil drain plug and on one 02 exc I witnessed the splines stripping off the kickstarter shaft (outside where the kicker bolts on), we thought the bolt was always tight but still rattled on the splines, eventually slipping. Carbontech reeds are a bit thinner .16 than stock .18 and are faster reacting and still have good control and durability. Rear wheel bearings dont seem to last very long and part of the problem is soft rear axle spacers but aftermarket stuff can lelp that. Adjust your steering stop bolts correctly and loctite them ,if you lose them in a race it could cost you a radiator if the forks get to ramming up against the radiators.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
I picked it up last night, haven't had a chance to log any time on it yet, hopefully this weekend I'll get to give it a good work out.
Any suggestions on triple clamps? I am looking fo 18mm with hand guard mounts.
Thanks for everybodys input!

Munch

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Munch,
I have a set of 18's with stem installed to sell with the hanguard mount, fat bar mount, & steering damper post.
I just bought a new 200 and won't need them anymore.
Email me if interested at kdxfile@yahoo.com

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
hey munch break it in this week end at the moose run
your 250 must have made you mad sunday with the dnf 
due to brake prob

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Agitt,

For some reason it locked up in 1st gear. Not good . I'll find out later this week on the damage. I think I'll stay away from the moose, don't think that is the place to break it in.
How did you do last weekend? Had to be better than me, nothing worse than a DNF!
Munch

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i got 6th 200b but im not sure how many was in my class
locked in first gear i heard it was a brake prob.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
It was a brake the week before and the master link the week before that, so its all been building up for almost a month now, but this was the final straw.
Good finish though for you, there was quite a few bikes so I think you did pretty well!

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
thanks dude the sunday before i had a high speed get off in the grass
track section at gussie's and trashed my bars and my self and this past sunday
felt flawless and really fun maybe well cross paths play riding some time
ive wanted to try out 200sx for quite some time now

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Finally got to put some time in on the bike Sat. I went to Keithsburg IL, what better place to break in the suspension tha riding deep sandy whoops for a good 2 hr! Anyway the bike worked great, from the motor to the suspension I'm very pleased with it. I think I'll need tighten up the turning radius some for the local HS.
Coming off of an 02 250 sx, this thing handled great! Felt real comfotable on it after the first lap,definatly feels easier to ride.

Agitt, did you run the Moose this past weekend?

Top Bottom