MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I just bought a 2000 KX65 for my 6.5 year old. He's a big guy who's been riding an XR50 since he was 3. The first ride went well considering the difference between the little XR and his new KX. Surprising to me, the area that gave him the most trouble was braking. When he grabbed a handful of brake like on his XR, the KX front end locked up and threw him; several times. All in all though, it went well. With that said, I have a few questions.

1) What's the gearbox fluid volume at oil change. 0.5L? I didn't get an owners manual with the bike.
2) What are the standard clicker settings? Come to thing of it, I'm not sure this thing has clickers.
3) Recommended race sag?
4) How much benefit is to be gained by a suspension revalve? He's a beginner on this bike but will come up to speed fairly quickly. He weighs 70LBS and is tall.
5) Are these lift kits I've heard about a good idea for big kids?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
1. I am pretty sure that oil capacity is 0.5l. But when I did pour in the recommended amount the level looked low through the sight glass.
2. Don't beleive there is much to adjust on the suspension.
3. For starters I took most of the preload out of the back spring. This way my son could touch the ground with both feet. Now race sag is about 2.5-3in.
4. Look at www.randdracing.com for suspension mods. They also carry the new linkage to add seat height and travel on rear end. I will be looking into these suspension mods year after next for my boys '00 KX65 as well.
As for flipping, the front brake is pretty darn effective. My boy came off a JR50 after two years and learned the basics of clutch and real brakes quickly. He is finally staying on the throttle long enough to get some decent air. It is a great feeling watching your own 7 year old fly off a jump and hit the ground with a hand full of throttle. Good luck.

Top Bottom