Dsharp

Jul 19, 2002
What mods will I have to make to my bike. I am 6 foot 150lbs. Shold I keep my stock sprigs? Get new <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b><u>pipe</u></b></a>s? I am a very agressive rider.

2001 cr125
What mods will I have to make to my bike. I am 6 foot 150lbs. Shold I keep my stock sprigs? Get new pipes? I am a very agressive rider.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
What is your ability? Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, Expert?

What type of riding/racing do you do?

If you're just starting out or moving up from a smaller bike, the stock config will suit you just fine.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
First off you should set the suspension up for your weight/liking and then get the bike properly mantained/jetted and then you can start looking for goodies for it.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Making a bike race ready isn't about making it fast but durable (breakage resistant)

First thing is def. the suspension and jetting. If the susp. is set up crappy all the mods under the sun won't do a lick of good. Repack every bearing on that bike with a good synthetic grease (swingarm, steering stem top/bottom, hubs, linkage)

For buying stuff begin with a set of Pro Tapers and the Tag Metals oversive rubber mounted clamps. Do away with the stock clutch plates and chain/sprockets if you already haven't. I'd highly recommend a set of radiator braces, even the Works Connection (of which I have) protect against quite an impact. Make sure your tires still have damn close to square knobbies and make sure you have hard terrain tires for hard terrain...not some mismatch. Top off the coolant, change the trans. oil, clean the air filer, lube the clutch cable, tighten all nuts and bolts then go have fun :)

Resist from buying parts to make the bike faster until after you get some good serious racing in. The time to step it up in the engine is when you are drag racing a top 5 guy up a long steep hill and his bike outpulls yours.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
No one can tell you how to adjust the suspension or jetting. It's one of those things you have to learn by trial and error.

I use to be scared of the suspension clickers so they got left alone. That all changed when I finally went out and just started turning this clicker a bit, riding it then turning it the other direction. But make sure you know where you started at ;) Having the manual is a must BEFORE doing this. Ah yes...set the race sag before you turn the adjusters, almost forgot that

Jetting is also a trial and error. Read the manual, it explains a lot about how everything works and gives some basic jetting guidelines.

Top Bottom