2002 CR250 Steahly flywheel weight questions

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Does anyone on here have a 2002 CR250 with a Steahly flywheel weight on it? (The weights for the 2002 are unique to that model so no other years apply.) I bought a used one off of **** reported to be a 10oz Steahly for a 2002. According to the Steahly website, the 8 and 10oz are bolt-ons and the 12 and 14oz weights need cover modifications.

I tried to install it this afternoon and it seems like the cover hits the weight ever so slightly. At the moment, I can't get it fully torqued because I lack a piston stop but I don't think the extra bit of torque on the retainer nut would give proper clearance anyway. Even worse, the weight I have looks to be different than the one in the photos. The one in the picture has threads in the center bore, two holes on the face, and some kind of bolt-on bracket with a square hole in it (I assume the bracket is for mounting the weight). The weight I have has a recessed center bore and uses a machined nut with a hex on the end of a cylinder. It looks like a 01-03 CR125 weight, from the photos on the Steahly website.

If someone with a Steahly weight can confirm what I've got, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
i have a weight for my 02 it has the threads on inside with 2 holes and yes the plate with square is for mounting. Mine was the heaviest they made, and it was too much so i talked to steahly they gave me dimensions to cutit down in a lathe. i was really happy with it at @11oz. it had to have cover spacer and you have to trim part of the cover and the spacer for it to clear. I had eric do a 265 kit for me and i personally rebalanced crank, i took it off the bike actually feels better without it. If you need one or have more questions let me know

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Ron,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a CR125 weight then, which is what I suspected. I guess I'll be selling this one and looking for another. But I definitely don't want to be dealing with cover modifications or spacers, so I'm looking for 10oz or 8oz models.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I called Steahly and after some quality time with a caliper, they confirmed that it IS, in fact, a 10oz flywheel weight. They told me that their weights generally weigh 1oz more than the advertised weight. The mounting bracket in the photo is for the 12 and 14oz weights, while the 8 and 10oz weights screw into the flywheel like you said.

My problem is that I'm an idiot and didn't notice the threads on the reverse of the flywheel down at the bottom of the center post. So it wasn't seated fully when I "installed it" and that lead to the interference problem. It also lead to me buggering up the first thread on the weight (thankfully not the flywheel itself, but also as predicted by Steahly) so now it won't fit at all. I've got to borrow a porting file from my buddy so I can clean up the thread on it and see if I can get it screwed into the flywheel.

That's what I get for 1) not calling Steahly for a set of directions when my used weight didn't come with any, and 2) getting excited about getting the bike out after the winter rebuild and getting in a rush. Stupidity has it's price.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
mtk said:
That's what I get for 1) not calling Steahly for a set of directions when my used weight didn't come with any, and 2) getting excited about getting the bike out after the winter rebuild and getting in a rush. Stupidity has it's price.

I've been there, I'm sure we all have.
Just last week I was hosing my bike down when I noticed that one of the carb vent tubes from a horizontal port had come off. This particular port faces outwards so I'm thinking that I probably sprayed some water into the carb.
So I finish washing the bike,used a 17mm open end to remove the drain plug. The plug couldn't come out completely due to the close proximity of the case, so I got the phillips screwdriver and loosened the clamps to spin the carb and completely remove the plug. I spun the carb back down, turned the gas on for a few seconds, then spun the carb back out to install the plug. I only did it hand tight because I didn't want to apply torque on the carb until I spun the carb back into place and tightened the clamps.
My normal routine is to ride the bike a mile down the road to dry off the bike, so seeing how the sun was starting to set, I started up the bike and went.
Approx. 3/4 miles down the road, the idle rose drastically. I figure "oh crap I forgot to turn on the gas". I reach down only to find out that it was on already.
After another 100 yards, I decided to pull into a empty school parking lot to see what the heck was going on.
I killed the engine, got off, and looked down to see gas pouring from the bottom of the carb. DOH !!!@ $9/gal for C-12, this thing was pissin away a fortune.
Apparently the drain plug had worked its way loose from the vibration. I didn't follow up tightening it with the 17mm open end because I was rushing to beat the sunset. STOOPID :(
I really got lucky that I didn't lose the drain plug.

Top Bottom