craige

Aug 24, 2002
I need help,
I bought my 2002 cr250r 6 months ago, I bougt it from a local honda dealer, they set it up for me, i run klotts synthetic oil at
45:1, i run br8es ngk spark plugs, and i keep my air filter very clean.

About every other time i ride i will foul a sparkplug, now the strange part is when i am done riding my bike i shut the fuel off and run it for a minute, when i run the bike again it runs fine for about 1 minute give or take alittle, then all the sudden it boggs down and dies, sparkplug is completely fouled, all the guys that i ride with have never seen anything just like it and don't know what to tell me, and also sometimes it will give warning before it fouls by running bad and then dying, i don't putt my bike around by all means i am always on the throttle, so i was just wondering if there are any new tsbs on the 2002 cr250r or if i am the only one that has seen this, i would really appreciate some info i don't know which direction to go carburetion? PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Run it hotter. If you are the first rider on it, open the darn thing up! There is only one reason it will foul pugs if you are the first rider, break-in. I suppose it is still under some sort of warrenty, so put a new plug in and ride the piss out of it!

My .02
Phillip

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I had the exact same thing happen on my 02 cr 125...I'd start it and go a few seconds and it'd die, or sometimes I'd shut it off and a few minutes later it wouldn't start. Pissed me off beyond belief. It seems odd that just one leaner main jet made the world of difference.

spoder

Nov 14, 2001
I also have this bike and i went to a leaner needle jet, pilot jet, and main jet before it was right and it still is a little rich to tell you the truth.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I just fouled my first sparkplug in a two-stroke EVER tonite. Just so happened to be my 2002 CR250 and happened during a race (I was going to win of course ;) )

Plug was wet, so I am guessing that the stock jetting is too rich and if you are running 45:1 you are only making it worse.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
If your running SuperTechniplate Klotz, switch it for a different premix like MX2T or HP2. The klotz is for high rpm racing and switching should cure the problem. You should mix at 32:1 too for the extra protection and it will lean the jetting out a bit.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The oil he is running and is NOT the problem. :silly:

Start with the basic stuff:

- Clean ALL of the ignition systems connects and make sure the hard parts are grounded correctly
- Verify that the plug wire and cap are not damaged
- Verify the correct carb float level per the service manual
- Verify that the gearbox oil isn't being burned due to a faulty crank seal
- Drain the existing fuel and fill it with fresh pre-mix
- most important FIX THE JETTING. The chances are pretty good that if the things above aren't the cause then it's just a jetting issue, which is pretty common. Start with the pilot jet and needle position, most people rarely if ever even get to the point where they are using the main jet circuit.

Good luck.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I run klotz super techniplate, and if I dont keep it above quarter throttle I will foul plugs all day. When I ran castor 927, no problems of fouling or I also ran suzuki cci with no problems of fouling. But I spooge with cci, and I dont with the klotz or maxima. I dont know why people say changing your oil cant help, It has helped me in many diffrent ways. Flashpoint ;)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
most people rarely if ever even get to the point where they are using the main jet circuit.

Huh? :scream:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Joepro9
Flashpoint ;)

The flashpoint of an oil is an irrelavant spec thrown around by the tragically misinformed. At least you are in good company Joe. ;)

Originally posted by Vic
Huh?

Vic - I know you are the exception to the rule with your pinned to the stop riding style. :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Joepro9
Then I was miss informed by the fellow DRN members :(

YEP

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Vic - I know you are the exception to the rule with your pinned to the stop riding style. :thumb:

While that's generally true :confused: , your statement about most people never using the main circuit suggests that they don't open the throttle more than halfway, or thereabouts. Do you really believe that? :think:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Vic

your statement about most people never using the main circuit suggests that they don't open the throttle more than halfway, or thereabouts. Do you really believe that? :think:

After looking at slide wear patterns and TPS readings from data acquisition it's surprising how often it is true on 250s and big bores. Even the pros don't run WOT as much as people want to believe.
The basic point I was trying to make was most people can leave the main jet alone as it's rarely the cause of plug-fouling or the root of their jetting issues.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I have to say, not surprisingly, that Rich is right. If you ever want proof, tape your throttle, marking 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 throttle. When riding at a normal pace, glance down and look where your throttle is...it is humbling to say the least (at least on a 250).

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Paul Cooper(was around 4th in 250gps a while ago) did a test with a YZ125 and a data aquisition system.They found even a gp rider was only wide open for something like 13% of the time-thats as in throttle to the stop.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Rich, SuperTechniplate is said to be on the package a RACING 2 STROKE OIL! So wouldn't using it for its intened purpose be a good plan? If I recall correctly flashpoint is the temp at which oil burns or Flashes??? So wouldn't this mean that an oil with a higher flashpoint would foul plugs from unburnt oil at lower temps but would be ideal for a racing oil because the oil would stay liquid at higher (racing temps).

Last edited:

Jeppy

Jul 21, 2000
I run SuperTechniplate in my '01 CR. Tight woods almost exclusivley, and I have yet to foul a plug. Jetting it correctly is key. Castor (based) oil may create a little more spooge...but it WILL NOT cause the fouling.

The guy that's always right...is right yet again.

Jep

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Rockey5000
<snip complete nonsense>

You make my head hurt. :silly:

Here's a news flash for you genius Maxima Super M has a higher flash point than Maxima's K2 synthetic full racing oil. Flash point out of context without considering other factors is a completely irrelevant spec.

Remember the conversation we had off-line? Well you aren't holding up your end so the deal is off.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
I guess I am wrong about supertechniplate. On the bottle it said that it is for high rpm racing only. I tried to jet to run with it but was worried about seizing so I switchd to MX2T.
Rich, would you care to define flashpoint and how its related (if it is), Im interested.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Rockey5000
Rich, would you care to define flashpoint and how its related (if it is), Im interested.

The flash point of oil is the lowest temperature at which vapor will form and ignite if a flame or spark is present. Oil at it’s flash point does not burn continuously as it tends to only flash or burn momentarily.

READ THS NEXT PART SLOWLY ...

Flash point taken out of context without considering LOTS of other factors is a completely irrelevant spec. SO FORGET ABOUT IT. :silly: :silly:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Regarding the castor oil: I would have to disagree, I have switched to Benol in bikes without changing anything else, and fouled plugs. Smelled great, though.

I agree with Rich, jetting jetting jetting. And warm up habits.

For some reason though, the 2000 and 2001 just don't foul plugs, regardless of bonehead way rich jetting, leaving the choke on, etc.

What is it about the new style Honda engine that makes them foul plugs?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by motometal
What is it about the new style Honda engine that makes them foul plugs?

It needs a whole new carb, just ask the guys at carbParts ;)

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000

It needs a whole new carb, just ask the guys at carbParts ;)

LOL A new carb will increase horsepower too, yeah that's the ticket!!!! :scream:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Originally posted by bigred455

LOL A new carb will increase horsepower too, yeah that's the ticket!!!! :scream:

LOL, I see you've spoken to the sales reps at Carb Parts as well. ;)

PS, motometal, what is Benol??

Top Bottom