motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I am thinking about picking up an '02 KX 250 because I can get a great deal on one and I had an '01 and I like it pretty well. Is there any major flaws based on personal experiences?

Thanks

George Loch

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Straight from the factory? :) Actually, I am doing a little trade work with the dealer so, he is setting me up.

I thought you were done with KXs Cam? What did you buy?

Ooops! Read your sig. TM's are pretty exotic aren't they? Do you have a problem getting parts?

George Loch

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Yeah I'm done with KX's, but at that price it's quite tempting. I could have bought two of those! :P

I haven't had any problems getting parts for the TM yet, most parts are in stock at the distributor which is an hour away. On a happy side note, the fancy CNC machined TM parts are cheaper than the OEM / aftermarket parts for my KX so far!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Definitely. I sold my '00 for $2800 and I thought that *I* gave it away..

Buying my KX was like buying stocks high and watching them plummet.. Funny how fast they went from being a hot item to an ugly duckling. :scream:

CylinderStay

May 18, 2001
I guess I'm in the minority here as I just bought an '02 KX250 and I love it. I paid 54 (out the door) for it. The low end is somewhat anemic (nothing another tooth on the rear sprocket couldn't fix), but the midrange hits hard, which is where I do most of my riding. Fit and finish is excellent and with Kawasaki's 0,0,0 deal it was an easy decision to make!

Besides, I like green bikes! ;)

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Thanks Cylin, I like green bikes too. Cam just had a lemon I think (Does that make it a sprite - lemon/lime). I enjoyed my '01 and it was totally stock - no pipe. I do remember feeling like I was lacking in power somewhere because there was a stepup at one of the tracks that I go to. You would hit it coming out of a corner and I could never get fully over the top of it. I admit that if I had my druthers I would get a 426 - I love the traction. I feel like I get so much wheelspin that it steals some of my momentum for an obstacle like I had mentioned. Iam going to pipe the bike this time and try to get the power in the right spot for the track.

Thanks

George Loch

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
For $3500, I'd buy any brand new 250 (assuming it's a reputable brand). You would have about $2000 to spend before you would pay more than a bike would normally cost (most 250s are around $5500 new, maybe a little less). That's good fora suspension revalve and springs, porting, all the engine bolt-ons you could wish for, bars, clamps, graphics, air filters, etc. IMO you're getting a spectacular deal.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by motoxpress
I do remember feeling like I was lacking in power somewhere because there was a stepup at one of the tracks that I go to. You would hit it coming out of a corner and I could never get fully over the top of it.

Jordan River? Seems not many bikes get through that cleanly. 426's and 500's seem to be the only ones that consistently clear it.

Who has that deal? I might upgrade the wife's bike for that kind of price.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Cool! a Jordan River rider. Yeah that's the one. I guess I wasn't the only one. It sure would be a nice feeling to be able to clear it. It's a goal of mine :)

I am getting it though White Knuckle in springville but, I am doing some tradework to get that price. We should hook up at JR sometime.

George Loch

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Yeah, I agree, it was probably a lemon.. But one lemon too many for me. :) My buddy has the identical bike and has had zero problems, except for a carburetor that would cause stuck throttle syndrome. New carb and problem is gone.

For $3500, I'd even think about buying a Suzuki! :confused:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Maybe Sunday or next Tuesday.

Look at my picture page (click on my avtar) and you'll see what my bike and I look like. :)

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I am currently sans bike so, I will keep in touch. Do you go to any other tracks?

BTW What is the race scene like at jordan? Are they part of a series?

George

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Tooele, Delta, and Posey's but it's closed for now.

Have gone to Delle and Five Mile is close by, but I like tracks better than the desert. Partly because I need to keep track of the kids. :eek:

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Delta will be the first track I go to as soon as I get my new bike. I have never been but, I am told that it is a lot of fun. I also have kids and they will enjoy the kid's track I think.

George Loch

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey George, I saw this at the track on Sunday and it looked killer:

Brand new '02 KX 250, bone stock. Matching OEM green side panels and front # plate, with yellow backgrounds/black numbers all around.

Quite simple to do but wow did it make that a stunner.

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
that goes for me too

Originally posted by CylinderStay
I guess I'm in the minority here as I just bought an '02 KX250 and I love it. I paid 54 (out the door) for it. The low end is somewhat anemic (nothing another tooth on the rear sprocket couldn't fix), but the midrange hits hard, which is where I do most of my riding. Fit and finish is excellent and with Kawasaki's 0,0,0 deal it was an easy decision to make!

Besides, I like green bikes! ;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
RIght on, a bunch of Kawi riders.. Have any of you heard about cutting the air intakes on the side panels too get more air to the airbox?? If so, did it make a difference??
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Top Bottom