250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Hello,
I am a woods rider looking to pick up a new bike.I am looking at a 2002 SX125. I currently ride a 2-stroke wr250 and was riding my uncle's '96RM250. I am looking to buy another bike so that my dad and I can ride together, or if a friend comes over I have a bike to put him/her on. I have always ridden two strokes, and they have always been 250's. I have heard that 125's tend to be unpredictable, snarky, and unpleasant for tight woods riding. So my question is, how true is this? Would an SX125 be an ok woods bike, or would it catwalk me into a tree unexpectedly(like my mom seems to think it will, she's been bucked off a YZ125 many times, and holds a permanent 125 2t grudge). I've always been interested in trying a KTM, and often wondered if a 125 would be a better bike for me because of my smaller size. So would I be dissapointed in a 125 after several years on a 250, and would it be an ok woods bike?

2fiddyEXC2T

May 4, 2008
with a bit of work such as flywheel weight,bigger tank 144cc kit,tires and a more trail orientated suspension set up it would work just fine, but i'm no expert i am only 15

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think the 125 could be made to work with some attention to set up. But it sounds to me like a 200EXC would be perfect for you. If you can find one of those for what you would pay for the '02 125SX, get the 200!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
xc 200 would be a good choice. I just picked up a 06 xc 250 and i think its an awesome woods bike. My cousin has a sx 125 04 and the top end hit is way too harsh for woods riding in my opinion. He and I are going to try and tame it down so he can run harescrambles with me. KTM sells power valves springs to change the powerband characteristics. We are going to try the heavier springs allong with fmf pipe, flywheel weight and a suspension revalve so it rides softer and plush. He rides the track a bit but likes the woods so we are going to try and see if we cant find something that works for him. I would also like to suggest a Kawi KDX220. Its an awesome woods bike and a perfect beginner bike. I hope this helps.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for the help and info everyone :cool:

91KDX;
I would love to try one of those XC bikes, but I can't seem to find any of them around here used for an affordable price. And is that bike a 2 or 4-stroke? One other thing I worry about is the weight of these "trail" bikes. I have been riding 250 mx bikes on the trails for a few years now, and I like them because they are light, as I am only 5'6'' and intimidated by huge heavy bikes. I have a little trouble with my old WR sometimes because of the weight of it, and even the new (4t) WR's are heavier than their YZ cousins. It just seems to me that the trail bikes are built sturdier and therefore, heavier too. And it aslo seems that the modern trail oriented bikes are quite laid back, gentle creatures.Not quite what I am looking for.I am looking to stick to a light, fast, 2-stroke bike..... and it seems like a lot of the trail bikes are 4-strokes. However, I am not sure about KTM, they seem to have a lot of different sizes and models that the japanese bikes don't have, and that I know nothing about.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
KTM sells the xc line in 2t and 4t. I own a 2t. As for the weight,
The 08 line;
XC 200 2t weighs 208lbs.
XC 250 2t weighs 221lbs.
XC 250 4t weighs 223lbs.

And of course the sx line is lighter
SX 125 2t weighs 200lbs.
SX 150 2t weighs 200lbs.
SX 250 2t weighs 208lbs.

The sx 125 is definately lighter and slightly more flickable than the xc 250. But will you be able to get tractable power out of that 125 in the woods? Will you be able to get the suspension plush enough to keep the rubber on the ground without beating up the rider? Its all up to how much money you want to put into it. I have no doubts that you can produce enough low end power out of a 125 to make it run good in the hilly woods. I went back and read an article out of Dirt Bike Magazine where they took an SX 250 and modified it for the woods. They did a horrible job on that particular article imho, they didnt hardly touch the engine in there test. They fitted the bike with bars, stabilizer, ims tank, revavled suspension and FMF pipe. I doubt that bike would be pleasant to ride in our woods. Hope this helps!

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
my 97cr125 does amazing on tight trails. its been bored out a bit but i leave my friends 06 crf250 in my smoke and dust. i would say go 125 only thing that sucks on the trails with my bike is the ultra stiff seat and suspension.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Wow, thanks guys. As for modifying a bike for trails, I am buying one used. All I have is about $2500, so the bike better come allready modified, I can't afford to spend more money on top of that. But it is important to me to have nice soft suspension. As I only weigh 130, big bikes with stiff suspension can literally throw me off, and it doesn't feel as funny as it looks. But after hearing all this I would really like to try out a KTM 125, 144, 250 or one of those other wierd numbers that KTM has. Thanks for all of your input guys (and girls??). Although the SX125 may not work out, you have me convinced to try out a KTM.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
the newer ktm the better because of part availability and the suspensions are better the newer you get especially 2003 and newer. 125 would be too much work in the woods not enough torque

jesus17

May 6, 2008
2003 SX 125 my friend had is very good woods bike. It is fast as hell and beats down all the other 125s, even YZ 400. My race prepared YZ 125 2002 with many many mods for track was still slower than stock KTM. I don't know why the bike goes like that but i'm currently looking to buy one of them.

His SX had very good low end and didn't stall even when the rpms droped very low. Mid range was also very strong, and than top end that is dangerous for rider behind him. One day we decided to climb the mountain diffrent way so we threw bikes in creek and rode uphill, creek was full of hand sized rocks and KTM was leading and there were some straights where we rode fast and rocks were flying past my head and one(fortunately) little smaller hit me in face and broke my nose... i shouldn't take of googles.

I suggest you to take SX 125, its incredible bike in woods... And if you find EXC 125 or in USA i think it's only XC than take it, it is even more woods bike. My bud rides 2007 model and that bike easily folows a 450...

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Ride an 85, then try to tell me that a 125 is snappy! There are a few 125s that ride in my group and they keep up with all the 250s and ATVs. They don't go flying into trees, and if they ever did, it would be becuase of their own riding. I prefer a 125 stroke over a 250 two stroke anyday! Talk about super-power.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Thats true, if you are good rider on 125 you can easily beat most riders on 250 or even 300 :D.
I think that if you learn to ride 125 fast in the woods you are good rider, and than when you get on 200-250-300... you are just better than someone who started on 250.
Don't think i boast but when i was riding in woods i met 2 guys on KTM 450 4t, and Husaberg 450 and i had no problem folowing them. They were only faster on open road but not to much.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
maybe you are fast on your 125 but it takes a hell of alot more work than any 450 or big 2 stroke. i dont like to have to beat the hell out of my bike to keep up. i stay in the next gear and carry with momentum and undeniable torque.

yeah learning to ride a 125 fast will deffinately help you be a better rider i agree, but i dont want to have to work that hard when i am just riding trying to have fun.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just go look at it and see if you can take it for a ride. Take off slow and roll on it. You will see what the low end is like and if it will be suited to what you wanna do with it. It's not like a 125 has no power in the low end, it's just not very impressive. You will learn to get comfy with the clutch. I grew up riding an rm125 in the woods. It was all stock, minus the sweet purple and yellow seat cover, and it did fine. I find it harder to ride a bike that requires absolute throttle control than one you gotta clutch all the time. You can tune a 125 to be reasonably smooth.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Yeah it takes alot more caution and focused riding than any bigger bike.

Only thing i hate when riding 125 for long time is sound, at first when you ride it you are impresed with sound and that everyone hears you coming so they get out of the way. But after few hours in woods i'm just pissed of that i need to rev the engine to go and hear that squeaky-peaky-žđšćčč sound.
I found 2003 SX 125 that i'll propably buy because my KTM 300 deal failed. I'll put some extra money to make it more like EXC. Some flywheel weight, fmf gnarly pipe, handguards and other usefull offroad stuff.

autodoc345

Aug 11, 2008
I know your looking to ktm, but if you can find one gasgas makes a bike called "pampera" I have 2003. it weighs 192lbs dry, I'm 5'7" and can touch the ground flat footed on both sides, it has a 280cc trials bike type motor, it will climb anything I've tried, is very forgiving, but still has plenty of giddy up and go, suspension is a little soft for my liking, but if I'm not jumping to high or going real fast it's fine (I've got a 300ec for those days!) in tight woods, or slimy mud this bike is considered a cheater bike by my friends. I've loaned it to brand new riders and each one had a really good day. If you can try one, you may reconsider a small displacement bike, my 25yr old son has a 2001 125sx,it is very quick he gets around fine in the woods but has to get on it for the steeper hills, has about a 37" seat height, which I can not touch the flat ground on both sides.You will use the clutch alot more too.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. But I must apologize, I just brought home my new 2000 RM250, maybe a KTM next time, at least I hope so.

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
There seems to be a bit of misguided information on 125's in the woods, more so the 125SX...
My riding buddy (a chick) has an 04' 125SX and we ride the Michigan woods.. After a year of headaches with a sharp learning curve and never being able to keep a plug in it, I was going to give up on it.. I put a 36mm carb from a 300 on it and it just plain rips now.. It rides quick and easy just below the pipe and a quick stab of the clutch it comes unglued.
Im actually thinking of selling my KX250f and picking up an 08-09 125Sx because of this bike.. The carb mod shifted the power to the bottom end, jetting was quick and easy. Also, out of any 125, KTM's have HUGE bottom power..

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
We have several 125s, and our stock ktm 125sx makes the rest look stupid. Smoother all around, more power all around, lighter, more nimble.. You name it the list go's on.. a 125sx would make a great woods bike period.. alot better than my yz 125 thats a fact.

SRH22

Feb 10, 2009
i have a 2001 ktm 125sx, the bike rips on the track. Ive recently been texting it throw rocks, stumps, anything that you would virtually encounter in the woods. it basically all comes down to your clutch control. My bike has a fmf header, fmf silencer, and carbon fiber reeds and i can keep up with the 250f's. i love my bike, wheelies through 5th gear. definetaly a fun bike, if none of your friends wanna ride it through the woods, hit me up. =P haha

Top Bottom