2002 YZ125 Piston Compression and Clutch

bdufflebag

Sep 7, 2010
I have two questions for you guys. Ready?
1. My compression for my starter is only at about half of what it's supposed to be. I can start the bike, it's just a huge pain.
2. I have to practically pop the clutch to get anywhere. On all my friends bikes, I have been able to get going nice and easy. But when I get on my bike, I have to throttle it, put it in gear while the RPMs are still a on the high side, and let off the clutch fast, or I will stall it. We think the plates are sticking so we took em' out and cleaned them off real well. Then we replaced the clutch cable.
That's my dilemma. Help me guys!
-------EDIT--------
I didn't mean compression, I meant the kick starter is very loose. You only get compression when you push the starter about half way down. Is it the gear?

Last edited:

baxterj787

Oct 4, 2001
Two separate issues at play here:
1: Top end time. Low compression = worn piston / rings. Easy job.

2: Clutch drag. Likely a worn / grooved clutch basket (the large circular component that engages the tabs on the clutch fiber discs).

bdufflebag

Sep 7, 2010
First, I doubt it's a worn piston. And I don't know what rings are. Please explain.
Second, we fixed the clutch. The cable was about half an inch longer than it was supposed to, so the clutch wasn't fully disengaging.

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
yea it is a worn piston and rings if it has low compression could be other things but not likley rings are what gose around the piston to make the compression in order for the bike to run

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
bdufflebag said:
First, I doubt it's a worn piston. And I don't know what rings are. Please explain.
Second, we fixed the clutch. The cable was about half an inch longer than it was supposed to, so the clutch wasn't fully disengaging.
Done deal then, the bike is obviously possessed. Or, it does not like you, send it to me! Vintage Bob

Top Bottom