ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Just got my 2003 200exc. I am about 220 in full gear and will respring the bike. The dealer said that is good enuff, and a revalve is not needed. Others i spoke to said stiffer springs will make this bike harsh cause it has pretty stiff valving already. Anyone here been thru this drill? Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Probably okauy stock for woods work < I Maintain quite a few of these for larger sized folk like yourself . The 03 triple bushing forks are very resomsive to oil height changes . If bottoming try to raise oil height a bit . Turn the shock compression clicker a few clicks firmer and set the sag around 99/100mm. We ran the forks about 14mms showing above the clamps or less if youre tall. The forks are pretty firm as delivered and the rear shock is in the ball park in my opinion . If you feel the rear is tooo soft you might try the next upper PDS spring . I dont really subscribe to the linear rate spring with more preload fixes a KTM idealogy that others may rant . Take the time to learn about the PDS system on the rear of your bike and youll know why.Alot of guys like the steering dampers Maybe peek around the suspension forums and get some ideas . Good Luck Definitely like podia says break that bike in good first

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Spend a bit of money on good rear axle spacers as it seems as delivered they are soft and let the bearings wear out. KTMs with no linkage are also sensitive to wheelbase length due to no linkage . I know a fellow that changes gearing alot and moves the chain around but hes got a 250SX and he likes the rear firm . With smaller rear sprocket the bike gets longer and he says the suspension feels different. Sorry my typing bad its late. Good Luck.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I weigh what you do. I'm on an '03 250exc. I went up one spring rate, front and rear, buying KTM springs.
Was happy.

Blew shock and forks, figured wtheck, sent both ends off to WER. Valving changes helped some, but the biggest change was getting the right springs under me.

Happy, fatboy 40+ A enduro rider......

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Have any of you guys ridden a KDX200? How do the KTM 200 & 250 compare? I'm not asking how much better the KTM is, just what kind of motor characteristics. I have a 79 Husky 250 that rips, just wondering it the KTM's are more like that or more like the KDX?

Some of us went riding last night and a friend that is considering a KTM 200 said something about the motors on the EXC, MXC and SX being tuned differently or haveing different power characteristics. I though a 200 was a 200 and the different models meant gas tank size, lights or not, etc. What is right?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
TV rider,

Its kinda like this: kdx = plow horse, KTM = race horse. That will probably offend some diehard kdx fans but I've owned both and you don't plow with a race horse or race a plow horse in the Kentucky Derby. Simply a matter of different nags for different jobs.

It's not as simple as the model designation might appear. The 250 exc motor is different than the sx motor for a couple or three years now. The exc to mxc difference is primarily trans ratios and no light although the coil is there for lighting on the mxc along with the closer ratio trans. The sx uses a different black box and flywheel, different crank, different port timing on the barrel I'm told and powerjet carb for starters. The 200 exc/mxc is plenty hot for woods work or outdoor mx. The sx is new this year and I don't know what internal parts it shares with the exc/mxc.

Most differences are incremental in performance from year to year and model to model. Just pick the right model for your application and roost on! There are no KTM plowhorses. :laugh:

Top Bottom