2003 KDX200 front sprocket assembly

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
I got a 12 tooth sprocket to replace the 13 tooth to play around with the gearing ratio, but noticed a special tools is suggested and the manual recommends the clip be replaced. Any work arounds to use some other tool? Does the clip really need replaced an time the sprocket is removed? It looks as if the star nut (?) just come off like a regular nut, but require this special tool to turn if off, correct or no?

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
There is a circlip holding on the countershaft sprocket, just pick you up a set of circlip pliers at the hardwear store and it's a snap to remove it. You can reuse the one that's on there just be sure you don't stretch it so it doesn't sit in the groove all the way when you put it back on.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Star nut'?

Has the '-03 been changed?

Kind'a hard to confuse a nut with circlip. I don't see any changes in the attached diagram from buykawi.com for an '03.

I conveniently cropped the snap ring pn:

92033-026 24mm ring, snap

Attachments

• 2003 trans.jpg
    2003 trans.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
I do believe that's what I thought, but I must go look at it again. It appears the clip is kind of like a C-ring that just open up a little to clear the circular shaft area to come free, no???

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
It appears the clip is kind of like a C-ring that just open up a little to clear the circular shaft area to come free, no???

Yup, but be careful 'cuz they like to fly away into dark corners...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Get a new circlip. They are cheap.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Ha! Like $1.50 from a certain online dealer who shall remain nameless because they wouldn't ship to my work address. So I went to my local green bike dealer: out of business. Went to the big local dealer who has since taken on a Kaw franchise, had to pay for parking, went through hell with the counter person, and finally got a hold of two. (One for the next time to avoid this ordeal.) $6 and change a piece! Sorry, this probably belongs in the flame forum.

No wonder I just used safety wire and silicone on my previous front sprocket.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....try your local hardware, autoparts, farm supply, or fastener house.
Take the old one with you.

Saftey wire and silicone......oh my.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom