Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I have a 2004 yz 250 that is used for trail riding only. On the last few rides of about 50 miles in length I have noticed that the bike does not want to down shift from second to first. (rolling/rocking/or sitting still) Also on these trips, when ripping down the fire road back to the truck, I noticed a metallic rubbing sound coming from the engine/tranny area. When I here this noise I pull in the clutch and coast to a stop. This rubbing sound stops about two seconds before I come to a complete stop. I can take back off going through the gears no problems. I change the tranny oil after every ride regardless of lenght. I keep the clutch adjusted with the proper. I use the 80 weight honda cr transmission oil. This noise scares me as well as the bike not wanting to down shift. Also the bike hits neutral at the drop of a hat. It is normal for me to hit neutral on the trail at least five or six times. On my 99 cr 250 Ive never had this problem.

I starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach. I can see it now. "Its going to cost $1,000 dollars to fix your bike and it will be six months before we can get to it" talk from the dealer. :bang:

Im desperate for advice Please tell me that Im not going to spend big bucks on this brand new bike :ugg:

Redrider ( I know I should have know to ride red )

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Something is deffinatley not right. Sounds like a bent shift fork to me. Did you take off the right case cover (not clutch cover) and check for any sign's of trouble? Like rubbing, shavings ect. You may have problems in there. Check the shift shaft and everything it touches for unusual signs. Good luck, YZ165

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
Down here, Cape Town South Africa, I can tell you that people that own 02 to 04 YZ250's are blowing gearboxes. Majority 3rd and fourth gears. The teeth are breaking of at the root or base of the tooth. I have also seen a 04 YZ250 which had its 2nd to 4th gears replaced due to worn dogs.

The problem with Yamaha gearboxes seems wider than just the YZ250. Owners here with YZ85's/125's seem to have a nice diet going on gearboxes as well.

For this reason, I am very apprehensive to buy a 2005 YZ250. The bike above that I have mentioned are not long in the tooth either (excuse the pun).

Mainjet

Jul 20, 2002
I would pull the side cover, clutch, and disassemble the shift quadrant and check for problems. Dogs broken or chipped, spring, binding, etc. It won't take long, and will eliminate the basics. In my regular group we have probably 10 YZ 250's of various years '02-'04, and nobody has ever had tranny problems. I have an '03 that I pulled down and installed 5th gear from a WR. It took about a 1/2 day to do the whole job. Check the stuff in the side cover first, sounds like it could be something broken or bent in the gear selector mechanism. The noise at rundown could be the shift mech, putting a bind on the gears. Let's hope that is all it is! E mail me if you need assistance. Mainjet@att.net

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
My 02yz250 chomped through 2 transmissions, both times it was a tooth chipped out of third gear. The only thing I coud figure out was causing the problem, was the bearing on the primary transmission axel was a little rough. The bike was only a month old when the tranny crapped the bed the first time then it went another month and did it again. After replacing all the bearings in the cases the second time around I had no more problems plus the bike shifted a lot better. Both times the stray tooth ended up under the shift drum locking up the shifter.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I guess that I'm lucky. I run my bike hard at the sand dunes (Mostly in 3rd and 4th) and I haven't had any shifting troubles, knock on wood.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
Thanks for the replies guy,
After reading the posts here, I disassembled the right side cluthch cover, clutch plates, clutch hub and basket and inspected everything. I did not see anything out of the ordinary (no shavings of any kind, springs in tact) everything seemed ok...No what do I do....ANY advice is appreciated.
Redrider

Top Bottom