dadof2racers

Apr 5, 2005
My son is trying to deside if he should keep his 05 or go for the new 06 model.
He purchased the 05 model in late august because he blew the bottom end out of his 01 cr 125 and there was a big race coming up and no time to get the parts for the CR
So the 05 has only a couple of months riding/racing on it.
No motor work done on it at all.
He really likes the 2 pipes on the 06 but im wondering if there is enough other stuff on the 06 that would make it worth trading in the 05 for the 06?
His money as well, he works for his new bike and has kept the same job since he got the 05, not bad for a 14 now 15 year old.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I guess there are some out there that can tell the difference between single and dual pipes... I'm not one of them. Can't compare it to the 05, as my 05 was a 450, but compared to the 04 with a pipe (Big Gun), the 06 has better mid for sure, about the same right off the bottom. WAY quieter.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I have an 06. Honestly, don't know if the dual exhaust really adds anything, or takes away. Some riders are replacing the duals with a single can. The 06 also have a bigger carb (40mm) from the 04-05 (38mm), which a bigger carb is designed for more top end/peak HP, and a new head to go along with the new carb/exhaust. Other than that, I don't think much is different. The 06, to me, feels slightly stronger in the motor department, kinda like an 04-05 with aftermarket exhaust.

YZ125jk

Registered
Mar 14, 2005
Heres the list of whats new on the 06 model.

• Head with intake valve seats of a material that will extend valve life, oval ports for improved high rpm power and exhaust valve stems (and seals) that are 5.0 mm in diameter instead of 5.5.
• The exhaust cam has more lift and more duration for more power.
• Piston has a more crown with a more squared-off shape for better sealing and a higher compression ratio (up from 12.5:1 to 12.9:1)
• Piston ring that is thinner (0.8mm vs. 0.9mm) for less friction.
• Keihin carburetor with throttle position sensor is 40mm instead of ‘05’s 37mm to boost top-end power.
• Twin-muffler exhaust and 5mm lower radiators centralize mass and lower the center of gravity for a lighter feel to the handling.
• Lighter and stronger front hub and swingarm.
• Shorter, lighter outer fork tubes.
• Suspension valving is refined for a smoother action.

morganbike

Jan 31, 2005
Over here in England riders are putting the single pipe and the 37mm carb back on the 06 to bring back the mid range.If you dont ride the top end all the time the 05 is worth keeping.On our 05 I have just hade the 37mm carb OVAL BORED, the head gas flowed,valve seats re-cut and profiled and the cam re-timed.Vertex high comp piston and also fitted a D.E.P Full exhaust system.All standard Honda parts and it is a lot better.It rips and has gone from 28 to 36 HP on the dyno.It cost me the equivelent of $1800 but will keep it for two years as is.

Top Bottom