ChrisCRF250R

May 18, 2008
I have a 2006 CRF250R that I can not get any spark out of. The stator was shot so I replaced that, still nothing. There were some small metal shavings in the crank when I took the bike apart not really sure what those are from. I tried seeing if there was any spark coming from the plug and there doesn't seem to be. Any one have any idea what else to check??

ChrisCRF250R

May 18, 2008
when you say the connections do you mean like where the stator plugs plug into?
and what would diconnecting the kill switch do?
im 17 and do all this myself, never done anything like this before

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
From the kill switch, trace down where it connects at, disconnect it. See if you have a spark. I sure hope you have a shop manual, if that did not work. Clarify, shavings in the crank?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
ChrisCRF250R said:
mk ill try that
and yes there were pieces of metal in the crank that destroyed my stator and had to replace it
The crank is made of metal. How did it destroy the stator?

ChrisCRF250R

May 18, 2008
metal got in between the stator and flywheel somehow and ripped up the magnets on the stator, there is small shavings of metal all over my flywheel
any idea on how that wouldve happened?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had a similar issue with a YZ250F, where a washer from the clutch side had broken, and a piece made it's way to the stator/flywheel and sliced a wire on the stator. I was lucky to find all of the pieces to make up the washer.

But the best thing to do is check all of the electrical components with a volt/ohm meter. In the manual it should say the range for each electrical circuit. This is the best way to figure out what is wrong if you're not getting any spark.

And if the metal shavings seem to amount to something, better figure out where the metal came from. Good luck!

ChrisCRF250R

May 18, 2008
no there is no up and down movement
if i were to get spark again and ran my bike with my new replaced stator do you think it is likely for something else to happen to my new stator and destroy that one as well?

ChrisCRF250R

May 18, 2008
nikki said:
I had a similar issue with a YZ250F, where a washer from the clutch side had broken, and a piece made it's way to the stator/flywheel and sliced a wire on the stator. I was lucky to find all of the pieces to make up the washer.

But the best thing to do is check all of the electrical components with a volt/ohm meter. In the manual it should say the range for each electrical circuit. This is the best way to figure out what is wrong if you're not getting any spark.

And if the metal shavings seem to amount to something, better figure out where the metal came from. Good luck!

the metal in there were small shavings, not anything big, it was only inside of the flywhell and on the stator, the magnets on the stator were engraved in with marks as well, what do you think it would be?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ChrisCRF250R said:
no there is no up and down movement
if i were to get spark again and ran my bike with my new replaced stator do you think it is likely for something else to happen to my new stator and destroy that one as well?

Yes. In fact it could destroy a lot more than just your new stator. Like Nikki said, you need to find out where the shavings are coming from. If the shavings are small enough to get through the little screen that sits just below your flywheel, then they will be pumped back through your engine by the oil pump. This could destroy your crank, cam, oil pump, etc, etc.

Believe it or not, you are lucky your bike won't start. If it would have started and you would have run it for very long you would have cost yourself a lot of money.

I suggest you purchase a factory service manual, ($48.00 from your local dealer) and start to disassemble your engine. The factory manuals, (not the owners manual) are very good and they explain and show pictures of all the finer points of your engine. It would be a good place to start.

Once you get the engine back together, then try exchanging the cdi box with one from another CRF. Shorting out the coils on the stator may have damaged the cdi box. This may be what happened to your spark.

Now, if I can just figure out what happened to mine. :( :ohmy: :laugh:

Top Bottom