navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
I just recently purchased this bike. I wanted to get a new exhaust (full not just slip on or silencer), as well as change the sprocket out to gear the bike down a little more. Right now my trail riding is between second and third gear, and I'm thinking if I go down a tooth or 2 I can get it to be a solid 3rd gear right in the power band to stop shifting at each turn. Top speeds not much of a concern I'm not using all 6th as it is, not that there's enough power there anyways with the gearing as it sits. With the exhaust, I'm looking to gain some more power with a nice sounds (doesn't have to be loud just better, hopefully you know what i mean.) Brands types models all preferred since if your suggesting them you know more than I do. Anything else that's not major you might suggest I'm up for anything, I haven't had a bike for about 8 years so a lot has changed...

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
Ive found a lot of mixed info about the gas we should be running in these bikes as well. Some people have posted 87 is perfect for this class of bikes and 93 is just too much and your paying more for no gain, any thoughts?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
navigator25 said:
Ive found a lot of mixed info about the gas we should be running in these bikes as well. Some people have posted 87 is perfect for this class of bikes and 93 is just too much and your paying more for no gain, any thoughts?

Not sure which year your bike is, or if the specifications change from year to year, but the 2008 TT-R230 has a 9.5:1 compression ratio which can handle 87 octane gas no problem.

Rod

navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
Matt90GT said:
best upgrade is to sell it and step into a WR250x or F.
I disagree, the type of riding i do this bike is great for me. The gearing is a simple effective (cheap) way to gain more rideable power in the areas that i will use more, I lose some top end but I don't use it so why not get it where i do? Rarely do I MX ride with this bike so I don't need the higher compression, more power or added suspension + the MUCH higher cost for that bike... I'm well aware of the positives with other bikes, I was well informed when i purchased my bike. It fits the riding I do, which is on 250+ of acres of trails, and a small track. I wouldn't talk about even doing anything with exhaust if I didn't like the old one I had on my old bike.. Mostly since I will need to change jets, and mod the air box to make it effective.

Plus why even respond to a topic if you just want to be a smartass?

@ the other guys thanks for the help!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
why? because it is true. The 230 us just a new platic on the 220 bike they made since the 80s.

The WR250 bikes have better suspension, brakes, motor, ergos and weigh about the same.

Dont expect your old 2 valve motor to make huge HP gains with a pipe. Waste of money. Cam overbore or high compression sure. But a pipe will just make noise.

Plus if you ever were to ride a WR250, you would laugh at your comments.

navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
Matt90GT said:
why? because it is true. The 230 us just a new platic on the 220 bike they made since the 80s.

The WR250 bikes have better suspension, brakes, motor, ergos and weigh about the same.

Dont expect your old 2 valve motor to make huge HP gains with a pipe. Waste of money. Cam overbore or high compression sure. But a pipe will just make noise.

Did you even read my comments?

I never said the 250 was not a better bike, nor would I. But like i said in previous posts Its not worth it for me to spend a lot more money for a bike that IMO doesn't improve my situation with just a different bike. Other than having a bigger faster more powerful bike. As I said before my bike is big enough for me, powerful enough, and fast enough. However since you said I should buy a new bike to fix a gearing issue for the conditions I ride in. Why not recommend a 450 for me instead since I might as well go big if i am replacing the bike I like? Or are you going to tell me that the 250 is better than the 450?

As for the Huge HP gains you said I'm not going to get with a pipe, I never said i would. I wanted it more for a better sound as stated, any power gain was just a bonus. I also stated I would need to jet and mod the air box to even get any big gains which I don't plan to do. I wanted a different sprocket to move the power band for the riding I do. To let me ride more in a single gear instead of switching gears so often.

That's just crazy to think instead of just adjusting gearing for the conditions you ride in you should buy a different sized bike for your riding just because its a better bike. I ride a 2008 GSXR 1000 on the street, but since there's the 1300 Hayabusa produced maybe I should sell that one and buy that one too..

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The latest tech is not always the best solution for each rider or the conditions they ride in. There are plenty of old XR's that will spank a new tech water cooled MX based bike in the woods or on a long hard trail. Not only my opinion but I can back it up ;)

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
Matt90GT said:

Matt, not everyone is trying to run pro track. For his uses the bike is perfect.

You don't have to have an awesome bike to be able to do trails and a little track, even if your track riding is slow it doesn't mean that you can't do it.

Hopefully your not one of those people who flog others because they got a ****ty bike or a less desirable one.. At least they have a bike and they're helping the sport.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you're looking for power than I don't think Matt's suggest is that far off base, throwing money at a 230 looking for power gains, especially when you have an aversion to jetting is a losing proposition. Changing gearing to suit your riding is definitely worthwhile.

navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
Chili said:
If you're looking for power than I don't think Matt's suggest is that far off base, throwing money at a 230 looking for power gains, especially when you have an aversion to jetting is a losing proposition. Changing gearing to suit your riding is definitely worthwhile.
No its not about more power, its putting the power i have in a gearing package that works for my situation, but i think you know what i mean. I'm not against the jetting but If I would go in that direction I would probably just take Matt's advise because I would be better off to step up in bike size instead of spending the money on this bike.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
navigator25 said:
I'm looking to gain some more power with a nice sounds (doesn't have to be loud just better, hopefully you know what i mean.)

Thanks

navigator25 said:
No its not about more power

Perhaps you can see why we're confused. I think your best bet would be to alter the gearing to gain some torque, any gains to be made with an exhaust would also require carb tuning.

Either way I was trying to point out I don't feel Matt was trying to be an ass in his original reply and not deserving of your scolding after it.

MXcruiser

Aug 19, 2009
Front sprockets are cheep. go down one size and see if you like it. If it is too slow try a larger rear with the original front sprocket. It all depends on where you are riding. I have multple sprockets and chains to fit where i am going. Most important have fun!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure I understand exactly what he's talking about. He wants to adjust the power he has to an area he considers the sweet spot for his riding style not necessarily more power for the sake of bragging he's got more power but if he get's a little bump that's OK as well.. Not such a bad idea really since most people don't really use what their stock bike has anyway. My tricked out XR makes more everywhere but it should because it's got more displacement, porting & valve job & better exhaust. I have the option to go a little more crazy and add a Hot Cam but it was not necessary based on the way the bike currently works for me. If nothing I think this guy "gets it" more than most people. Ultimate power output might be important in some limited situations but really it's a matter of want more than need. Does average Joe the trail rider "need" a WR250/450 for his fun in the woods? Doubtful. Does a water cooled engine really offer him anything? Doubtful. What he's got might be old tech compared to a current bike but that doesn't mean it can't work better than a new tech bike for his situation. I honest to goodness would much rather be riding a oil & air cooled XR/TTR/DRZ out in the middle of nowhere because chances are it will go plenty fast enough and is less likely to break if I drop it / run it in to a tree / don't maintain it, plus I spend less time adjusting valves, changing oil and the like.

Sure new tech is cool but I don't drive a F1 car to work and doubt that would make much sense if I could. Then again I don't drive an old Ford F100 even though it would work because I have become old, fat & accustomed to AC and the rest of the stuff on my Supercrew. :laugh:

navigator25

Jun 19, 2009
Chili said:
Perhaps you can see why we're confused. I think your best bet would be to alter the gearing to gain some torque, any gains to be made with an exhaust would also require carb tuning.

Either way I was trying to point out I don't feel Matt was trying to be an ass in his original reply and not deserving of your scolding after it.

Your right I can see that the words I used would be a little confusing and shouldn't have worded it like that when i meant different. However I don't believe it would have changed his response. Although all the other responses that weren't just telling me to sell the bike i said i just purchased or telling me in a round about way I bought a piece crap. So yes I can agree that I may have been confusing however his responses were obviously meant in that manner or others wouldn't have said something about it too. Either way, I got responses that I needed from other members of the community that helped me perfectly. I got my 1 tooth lower front sprocket today.

@Patman, you pretty much hit the nail on the head! I could have got a 450 too since they had one of those, but I ride my 1000 on the street if i want to go fast. I can get on that and go 0-100 in around 5 seconds give or take so speed doesn't matter . I choose my bike for multiple reasons, and one of those is like you said
Patman said:
I honest to goodness would much rather be riding a oil & air cooled XR/TTR/DRZ out in the middle of nowhere because chances are it will go plenty fast enough and is less likely to break if I drop it / run it in to a tree / don't maintain it, plus I spend less time adjusting valves, changing oil and the like.
in other words it will have enough power/speed, be tough enough to last my abuse, and less maintenance since i work 55-65 hours a week. All my vehicles get their maintenance/service on time or early so I don't have problems in the future. So the less maintenance is a good thing. For my bikes I keep records of how long I ride, how far (mileage on street bike) the date, weather conditions and where + noting any service that is done. Its mostly for when I sell it so they know how well i took care of it.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
navigator25 said:
Your right I can see that the words I used would be a little confusing and shouldn't have worded it like that when i meant different. However I don't believe it would have changed his response. Although all the other responses that weren't just telling me to sell the bike i said i just purchased or telling me in a round about way I bought a piece crap. So yes I can agree that I may have been confusing however his responses were obviously meant in that manner or others wouldn't have said something about it too. Either way, I got responses that I needed from other members of the community that helped me perfectly. I got my 1 tooth lower front sprocket today.

I think perhaps you're a little too sensitive about it for some reason? I read and re-read both of his responses I think they are founded in solid logic. My take reading his responses were that there was not enough gain in his opinion to be found for the cubic dollars to be spent and that money would be better spent on a more capable bike if you were looking for more power.

Since it turns out MORE power wasn't your actual goal then his answer is moot as it doesn't address the situation he thought he was replying to.

My take for your situation is that gearing changes to move the power around are a no-brainer. Spending cash on an exhaust with no other mods to go with it not so much.

Top Bottom