bofforider

May 27, 2001
I'm thinking about buying a second bike to take friends & clients (golf is too sedate) out riding with me. I ride a YZ250F. It's a great bike for me but I don't necessarily want to spend that kind of money nor do I want to put newbie riders on one. I ride track and trails equally (maybe slightly more track). What kind of second hand bike should I buy? Any riders I take with me will not be very good riders so a forgiving bike would help out.

Here are some of the bikes I am thinking about:
kdx 200/220
xr250
ttr225/250

Also, what bike would require the least amount of maintenance?

Any thoughts?

Thanking you in advance,
Bofforider

Last edited:

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Well, XR's hands down have the best reputation for being very reliable bikes, so that would be my top choice. Plus, they are one of the more forgiving bikes out there on the market as far as power and rideability. The KDX's are a two-stroke, a little more potent power but nontheless very smooth and controllable to the average rider. I don't know if it matters but the KDX is probably the easiest to start of all because of the fact that its a two stroke. I have a friend with one of these and he can only praise the bike for its reliability (he came off a japanese mx'er). The Yamaha's are probably up there with the rest of them, but I think the TTR225 has electric start and maybe the 250 does too. I haven't had much experience with these bikes and will leave it to somebody else to shed some light on this, for I have had bad experiences with Yamahas and would make a biased opinion. Overall, I'd go for the one with the best deal.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
You are gonna laugh but I picked up a KE 100 91. I got it super cheap and it is perfect for the trails. Now I can teach my girlfreind how to ride. Not that I really know how.:eek

But I am looking for an XR 200-250 too. I did not know the kdx was a two stroke. I might need a kdx 220. Are these really good bikes. How much faster or more power than the xr 250?

Thank You,

Riz

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the KDX is a great bike for beginners, light great handling and easy to start. The TTR-225 is a heavy piglet, but it does have e-start. A friend of ours has a TTR-250 and loves it, he rides it more than his KTM-400. I personally like my KDX (big bore kit and reworked suspension, used to have an FMF pipe) but I'm needing something different. Perhaps a KLX?

Top Bottom