2smoke oil & ratio thread merged

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
ratio

In an attempt to reduce plug fouling in my new 200, I am going to run it 40:1 Belray senthetic and switch to the BR8EG plug. Does anyone see a ploblem with my plan? What oil ratios do you all run? Thanks.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
i htink i run the same as you... Golden spectro... 1 bottle to 4.5 - 5 gallons of gas. The dealership says to run 32:1 tho, but o well...

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have seen in past posting that alot of people run Mobile 1 two cycle synthetic oil. I have tried alot of oil and this runs the cleanest and the price is right...about $4.00! I run it 40:1 with the br8eg spark plug. What I have heard the combination with the proper jetting will produce very little "spunge" in the engine. I am yet to foil a plug.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
From what I have learned/read on here, if it is a new bike, it probably is fouling plugs because of the factory's overly rich jetting.

But what do I know? I'm a Newbie! :yeehaw:

I run Mobil 1 MX2T 40:1

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
When I got my first dirtbike, a used 91 KDX 200 last winter from FRP, I talked to Jeff and he said I should run 50;1. I would run PJ1 oil and Moble 1 and both worked fine. I never fouled a plug or had any problems with siezing the engine. The bike ran fine, I even raced hare scrambles with it 5 or 6 times at 50:1. 2 weeks ago I traded the 91 KDX 200 back to jeff and I bought a 98 KDX 200 from him. This new bike has KX front forks, one graphics, Ported and Polished, Airbox mod, Gripper seat, FMF pipe, silencer, New Bars, Grips, and Top clamp, New Tires and rear rim. I am running a br9es (i think, what ever the 91 model manual calls for). I think I might try running this one at 32:1 and see how well that work or if there is any difference.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
TF 580 is the oil and I run it at 80:1. Yes I said 80:1, Snowmobilers turned me on to this great oil and I have never had anything like it. I use it in all my two cycle motors now. Chainsaws, Weedeaters, Bikes you name it! Great stuff made in Rome, NY the last I new.

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
You are fouling the plug because your carb is jetted too rich, changing oil ratio probably isn't going to help because you're just going to make the carb run richer the less oil you mix with the fuel. When I got my 03' KDX 200 I was fouling plugs like crazy, I removed the airbox lid and dropped a size on my main and pilot and have never fouled a plug again. All I have ever run in my bike is Super-M at 32-1.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
SVM, so you changes both jets 1 size smaller? Seems pretty straight forward...... Any change in performance other than the fouling issue? Thanks.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
mulerider, what is the benefit of running this 80:1 ratio with the special oil? I would think the savings on oil would be minor compared to the potential damage. Glad to hear you are having good luck with it, but logic tells us your engine will not last as long as one run on 32:1.

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
The bike seems to rev better and pulls on the top end better than before plus no splooge on the pipe. I/m still playing around with the f/a screw and needle clip to get the bottom end snap I want, I may be asking too much from the stock reeds and pipe.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by motometal
mulerider, what is the benefit of running this 80:1 ratio with the special oil? I would think the savings on oil would be minor compared to the potential damage. Glad to hear you are having good luck with it, but logic tells us your engine will not last as long as one run on 32:1.

Been using for 5 years now, In all my 2 cycle products and this is what the company recommends right from the bottle
Modified free air and chainsaw engines 64:1
Liquid cooledracing engines 74:1
Free Air stock engines (non-racing) 80:1
Liquid cooled (non-racing) 100:1

TF-580 is a 100% pure ashless diester synthetic lubricant (non-petroleum, non-glycol) contain an exclusive castor oil additive. You ask me about wear, I steel sleeved this motor when I first bought the bike an 86 KDX. Not by choice but at the time that qwas the only option. I rode the bike for 2 years using regular oils (hp2,spectra,belray) on the stock boresize before having to rering because of wear on the rings. piston was still good along with bore size. Ran those oils at 32:1. After the rering I got turn on to TF-580, from a guy that sold aftermarket parts for sleds mostly but dealt with bikes too. I ran those rings for 4 years before the motor felt tired. Compression not what it was and getting harder to start but still ran.

After I tore the motor down I decided to overbore and went to .020 over. Steel sleeve was going to wear sometime. Went with a new wiesco piston/ring set and still used the same oil. After 2 more years at .020 over I decided to sell the bike. Before I let the mule go I checked it all over, and gave her all her shots. The piston/ring set and cylinder where all within .001 of spec. That's 1 thousandth of spec size, wear is very minimal with this oil and I can get more hours then most other running the regular oils. I wasn't a believer until I tried it!

Now I have had this gallon of oil for many years now. It is down to a quart and a half. I run my bikes at 80:1 just because I tought that was extreme enough when I first started. I now have an 89 cr 125 that hasn't seen any other type of oil since I've owned it. The motor was brand new when I got the bike. I know I paid for the rebuild, I didn't do it myself because I recieved it all in a basket, missing many parts. This motor is still just as strong as when it was fresh, that was 5 years ago. I might rip of the jug one these days just to check it out. I don't foul plugs, in fact I have worn the electrodes out, something like you see in a car.

If anyone wants the address of the company that makes it I have 1 that may work. It's off the bottle and I don't even know if they are still there. I hope so because I want to get some more myself. I haven't bought oil in 3 years and I cut my own firewood and put lots of miles on through the woods.

smegma322002@yahoo.com

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
2smoke oil

I've been watching this forum daily for a year now, and suddenly i realized how many times i hear someone speak about the type of 2-stroke oil they use. I've never put much thought into it (although i do realize the importance of quality products), but i've always just mixed my gas with the kawasaki oil from dealer---is this oil complete crap, jetting problems, or is it just what you prefer. And where do most of you buy your non-kaw oil. I don't race, so i'm not so hell bent on some small improvement (like this oil will give me .025 more hp!) lolol----thanks for any feedback---and damn the weather is nice here, i've been riding everynight!!!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I've only been on here for a couple months.
And I use Mobil 1 MX2T.
Why?
'Cuz it's cheap and I've read good things about it on here.
I buy it at Autozone.

I also like to use Redline but being unemployed at the moment I'll stay with the cheap stuff

I have a friend that has bikes and jet ski's, he also builds and races his own stock-cars and does all his own motor work on everything. So I asked him what he used for premix and he told me whatever is on sale at Wallyworld! So go figure...

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I also use Mx2t, Mostly be cause it's not generic oil, and I can buy it at autozone. Wich is open 7 days a week so i can grab some on sunday. I refuse to give my local Motorcycle shop any business unless I have to.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have used a bunch of different two stroke oils over the years. I used Belray for years and then switched to Spectro for several years. Lately, I have been running MX2T in my son's bike (I ride a YZF) and I have to say that the Mobil stuff burns cleaner than any oil I have tried. I just wish they would put some die in it so I can tell the premix from the regular gas!

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I use silkolene, but its expensive though. Could be because the Canadian dollar is only worth 65 cents.

I see Golden Spectro and Belray on the shelves as well.

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
Is Belray Ok!

Is Belray MC1 ok to use at 40:1 on a KDX. Or would that Mobil 1 oil work better. Im fighting plug fouling problem. Im cleaning out carb and replacing reeds.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Belray will work fine at 40:1 but Mobil 1 burns cleaner in my opinion.

If you are fouling plugs it is more likely a jetting issue.

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Save the Bel-Ray for your weed eater :scream: Im not going to try and push my oil but,I just tore down my 01KDX 220 to remove the stock hand grenade and everything was next to spotless.It had a small carbon patch on the piston near the exhaust port and the exhuast valves had what could be compared to dark 30wt on them.A year and half riding every other weekend with Maxima Super M 40:1 stock jetting, which is definately on the rich side.Just my opinion ;)

zrenkz

Apr 21, 2003
l've heard alot of good things about MOTUL 800, on the pricey side but l think the Aussie dollar is around the 65 cents mark also ! 40:1 ratio is the go apparently,but l've been told u can use it factory recommeded 32:1 also no problem.

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
Thanks for the replys! I know I have a jetting problem which I am working on now(replaced needle valve, adjusted float level which was high and put a 45 slow jet and 155 main in) this was a good starting base with boyseen reeds and FMF pipe per JFR! I went to repack my silencer and found thick black goo! thats not right being only 100 miles on it since the last re-pack!I went riding yesterday and had to use my friends XR200. Lets just say "Give me My KDX Back! XR is good for putting around. thanks again!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I use the Bel-Ray HR1 and seems to run real good on it. I have not had to tear anything down yet but I get absolutely no spooge whatsoever... running at 40:1

Top Bottom