30 kicks to start it--2003 yz 125

mxrcrnick

Jul 11, 2007
after sitting for about a week my bike takes about 30 kicks to start and sometimes its the second kick. after a day it only takes 3 or 4. is is the compression or rings? cause they are stock. i changed the plug too. is b9eg good cause thats what i've always used?

Jan 3, 2007
mxrcrnick, a BR8ES is a hotter heat range and makes starting easier. You might want to do a compression check to see what you are putting out. If its a 03 with stock top end you probably need new rings or piston and clean up the cylinder or bore.

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
a BR8ES is a hotter heat range and makes starting easier.

Heat ranges have nothing to do whit cold starting. You might want to consider some research beofre giving some false advice......

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
Heat ranges have nothing to do whit cold starting. You might want to consider some research beofre giving some false advice......

actually 2 strokes for life is right, a hotter plug will make it easier to start cold, but the plug could be too hot when its at operating temp.

mxrcrnick

Jul 11, 2007
alright, thanks guys, and quit arguing- ya i think the compression is bad cause its really easy to kick but it takes awhile to start it. also would an oil change help at all? jw

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
And I would not want the ground strap falling off that cheap es plug in a yz125! All his bikes may have came stock with them but not a modern 2 stroke 125 mx race bike!

mxrcrnick

Jul 11, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
And I would not want the ground strap falling off that cheap es plug in a yz125! All his bikes may have came stock with them but not a modern 2 stroke 125 mx race bike!
i don't get what your saying. um what do you mean? :think:

speedfreak99

Sep 5, 2007
even with low compression it should start easier than 30 kicks i had a 89 yz125 i didnt rebuild for 4 years (beater bike) i would start it with my hand and it only to like 4 kicks even after it sat for the winter. plugs make a huge difference on starting. grab a book and look at how to read plugs and find the right one, dont just guess or you can cause a lot of damage. I'd clean the carb and check the reeds and go from there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
sixds said:
actually 2 strokes for life is right, a hotter plug will make it easier to start cold,

If a hot plug and a cold plug are both clean or brand new, then they will act exactly the same when starting. Heat range only has significance in a running engine. If a plug is full of deposits or completely fouled the engine will be hard to start with ANY plug.

You "experts" should try getting your facts straight before you start correcting each other. :rotfl:

speedfreak99

Sep 5, 2007
yes i know that the heat range is to burn carbon deposits off the plug while running thats why i said read the plug dont guess. but through experience espically with 2 strokes one step hotter will help with starting, and with less than normal compression you may have to run a little hotter plug

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
speedfreak99 said:
yes i know that the heat range is to burn carbon deposits off the plug while running thats why i said read the plug dont guess. but through experience espically with 2 strokes one step hotter will help with starting, and with less than normal compression you may have to run a little hotter plug

So you have more knowledge and experience than Rich?

Jan 3, 2007
Rich Rohrich, thank you rich. I now know for next time.

speedfreak99, you wont win....TRUST ME I KNOW!

whenfoxforks-ruled, sorry about the suggestion of a crappy plug. I have old bikes and i forgot about the whole deal of good quality parts.

Thinking out loud, i know my bike also runs bad if the spark plug is not gapped along with a dirty airfilter. So, if i am right i might suggest you do both.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
speedfreak99 said:
but through experience espically with 2 strokes one step hotter will help with starting, and with less than normal compression you may have to run a little hotter plug

... yanno, after all these years you would think I would have enough sense not to wade into these stagnant pools of ignorance. :bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
... yanno, after all these years you would think I would have enough sense not to wade into these stagnant pools of ignorance. :bang:

But you keep trying in the hope that it's gonna be different this time, yet it never is.. :yikes:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Rich,I know that you know better than that! I have been here almost a year,the repetitive self proclaimed mechanics with vast years of experience will never stop,been there done that! I am still blown away at the usages of mx bikes,unbelievable. Like the story of the guy who bought a streetbike and brought it back the next day,he did not like wind in his face! Thank you for sticking around Rich!!!!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Or the guy who buys the truck with the biggest engine he can find, and then complains about the gas mileage.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
In any case, it shouldn't take 30 kicks to start. When I do a top end, the bike better start on the 2-3rd kick (I'm giving it 1 to let gas start flowing) or I'm upset. Any more than 4 kicks on any bike and something's not right. On your bike, assuming it has decent compression (which you should be able to feel when kicking it over), first thing I'd do is check for decent spark. Then clean the jets in the carb. Then get in the habit of draining the float bowl after a ride to help keep the pilot jet from getting clogged next time.

There are really only 3 systems: compression, spark, fuel and if it doesn't start, one of these is off.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
mxrcrnick said:
after sitting for about a week my bike takes about 30 kicks to start and sometimes its the second kick. after a day it only takes 3 or 4. is is the compression or rings? cause they are stock. i changed the plug too. is b9eg good cause thats what i've always used?
OK, back to the original question. Don't ya just love these damn hijackers? :laugh:

Check your reeds. Once you check the obvious (gas on, spark, compression), most of the time hard starting is caused by reeds that are cracked, frayed or just not sealing against the reed block. It was mentioned earlier in the thread but probably got lost in all of the "expert" commentary.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom