$300 burning a hole in my pocket...

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Gaerne SG10 boots (I've only used Thor T-30 cheapo's)

or

W.E.R. dampener (I'm happy now, but am told I don't know what I'm missing)

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Seriously, though. I have only used a GPR dampner and really like it. Great boots are always nice, though. I would say if your boots are still in good shape, get a dampner.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Damper

You'll be riding so much better and safer you can practically ride naked! :yeehaw:

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
mnnthbx said:
Gaerne SG10 boots (I've only used Thor T-30 cheapo's)

or

W.E.R. dampener (I'm happy now, but am told I don't know what I'm missing)

WER won't make you a better rider, it will only hand you a better ride :)

Take the 300 dollars and use it to buy gas and pay for your day use fees at the Motocross track... I would think THAT would really make you a better rider :)

hehe... Not meaning to sound so high-and-mighty, since I'm such a fred on the bike anyway!

Feanor

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Take the 300 dollars and.......

I never said my riding needed help. I'd say I'm quiet skilled in fact. I'm a trail man though. If I wanted MX track time, I'd take that $300 and put it into a new YZ.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Well , i dont have a damper or have ever tried one , but i have had cheap boots and now i have good ones , and the difference to me is that ill never have cheap boots again. Period. So take what you will from that , and go shopping !

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
mnnthbx said:
I never said my riding needed help. I'd say I'm quiet skilled in fact. I'm a trail man though. If I wanted MX track time, I'd take that $300 and put it into a new YZ.

Didn't mean to make my original post sound like you needed help in the riding department (sorry about that) I just found it odd and made that statement because I saw someone in an earlier post say that it would make you a better rider... and that sounded odd...

My thinking is that if a person were on a bike that had lousy handling and yet became proficient at riding it well, that would make them all around a better rider :) So when they jumped on a much better bike they would smoke everyone else!

I was about to say not to spend it all in one place, but since this damn sport is so damned expensive, you probably will have to :)

Oh! and just so my posts won't be completely useless, I took the plunge and got Tech-8 Astars and I love them!!! Ride around all day and don't even feel like I needed to take them off afterwards! So you have that and the protection and support they offer...

I would think that a steering damper would only really help you if you were really flying down the trail (which you might be doing) So you're in an interesting quandry... Prepare for the crash? or try to avoid the crash :) I would opt for being prepared and choose the protection since the crash will happen no matter how prepared you are...

Have a good one!

Feanor

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
T30's are good boots bro.

Get that damper. It is an important as a helmet IMO. Well that is an exageration - but it is used 1000x more than my helmet with the result being the same - keeping me in one piece.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:think: If I remember right, Scotts makes damper mounts for the KDX, and the SV650. Get both mounts and swap the damper back and forth according to what you plan on riding. Just a thought, YZ165 :aj:

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
moridin said:
T30's are good boots bro.

Get that damper. It is an important as a helmet IMO. Well that is an exageration - but it is used 1000x more than my helmet

Yes, but your head is 10,000x more important than your feet :)

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
A stabilizer and good suspension are the most important mods you can do to a bike I think, as long as you already have good armour for it. (handguards, skid plate, rad guards) If your pretty happy with your suspension, I'd definitely go with the stabilizer. I'm very impressed with the service of my GPR. I just sent it back for a rebuild. Complete turnaround, there and back was nine days. They rebuilt, re oiled it and replaced the arm and pin for FREE. They even paid the shipping back. I think they'll do this once a year. Nicest bunch of guys I've ever dealt with.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom