Apr 30, 2007
Since the 250 project isn't going as hoped, and there were a lot of bits and pieces damaged or missing, I picked up a parts bike to help get things going again.

3na3o83pf5Z65W55X2aal8e241d270d7812ae.jpg

Well...I guess there was one little mistake. This one is in near mint condition.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like the old ragged out race bike is going to the parts bike eh? This a much more financially sensible route to take, I would think?

Apr 30, 2007
Correct (I goshdarn hope!)

As for the title reference, I forgot to mention that this one makes 4 bikes and counting (counting the ninja). My dirtbike collection has a bank account issue.

etard

Nov 14, 2010
I've come to te same conclusion concerning "fixer-uppers" , unless you wanna strip them down and part it out on eBay, it seldom is a good deal after you price all te little bigs and pieces that are missing and broken. Also, they tend to be wore out and abused so you need new chains/sprockets, air filter, tires, brake pads, and new seat. You price all that out and often times you are at a higher price than the pristine used bikes that hardly got ridden on craigslist. Then, you add in the blood sweat and tears, searching for parts on eBay, and gas spent going to the local bike shop, not including all the extra BS you buy while you are there. So I've found it's better to lay down the initial cash for that bike in good condition that turns over first or second kick.

What do you guys think? Have you found a deal on a non runner that turned out to be a gem?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If I buy a fixer upper, its going to be a few thousand to get it race-able/trust worthy. If I buy a few thousand dollar bike, I do not trust it. And will likely still need 600 or so to make it mine. If I buy a new bike, I trust it, but it will still need the 600 or so to make it mine. I have had bikes that I did not care about, did not trust, and pretty much beat them some more in the yard. Yard beaters. Not too many people I have ever known, honestly makes a dime on dirt bikes, if you ride them. Its a cheap motor sports hobby, probably the cheapest. Yet, even the yard beaters are the most fun I can have with my clothes on. I am a practicing dirt bike hoarder, and I like it! And this does not just pertain to smokers. IF, I had more money to loose, I would have a thumper or 2, but the smokers are still number 1 to me, and what dirt bikes is/was about. Vintage Bob

Apr 30, 2007
medwaste said:
How does your "parts" bike run? Do you have to do anything to it? You still have green grass out there?

Still in pieces, some of which are going to be switched over/kept for future rebuilds of the new steed.

No grass to be seen, and the grass that you can't see is certainly not green. It's covered with snow, and lots of it!

Apr 30, 2007
It only looks newer. This is due to the fact that it is in MUCH cleaner condition. I spent over an hour and a half checking things over this time. It is another 2001 CR250.

If all goes well, I get to go pick it up tomorrow! Then there will be pictures!

One race on a new rebuild. And there are a plain old ton of aftermarket goodies. Here's the few that I remember:

- 1 1/8"s bars (might not stay).
- Anodized red triple trees (can't remember the brand)
- Carbon fiber stator cover...
- Bauer Arms graphics
(Previous owner was sponsored by a sniper supply company. They look frickin' sweet, and are maybe just going to hang on my wall since I have plans to black this one out anyways).
- New chain and sprockets

Pictures will have to come when it comes home.

It ran very very well when I started it. I was a little afraid that it would be something I couldn't start. It's tall, but with a few mods, I think it will be very manageable. I guess 250s sit a little lower with the engines intact and installed. I couldn't find a drop of oil leaking anywhere. The front forks will need seals after a few more rides, which is okay, since the suspension will have to be set up for my weight anyways.

Also, has anyone heard of these lowering links? I can't seem to find any information about who makes them. So far, I thought Kouba and Devol Engineering were the only ones to make them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...2201474QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have seen that lowering link a few times in the past weeks on fleabay, under cr250. Plan b, put the 97 shock on! Kidding, that shock is feeble, but a little shorter than the 00/01. I am pretty sure the lowering link is safer. There has been a lot of hours put in , by others, to bolt up newer plastics, to put on newer graphics. I believe I ran across this phenomenon on the banned cr site. 06 graphics look better than the 01? So now I ask what year the bike is!

Apr 30, 2007
I checked the frame (that sweet label), etc. It's an 01 for sure. I also have the VIN # in case I have any doubts.

The trailer is ready, I leave in 1.5 hours!

Top Bottom