nslrider

Aug 24, 2003
I've recently been captivated by dirt bikes and I really wanna get one. I checked out HONDA and YAMAHA's sites and the lowest they seem to have is 85 cc. There aren't any 50 cc and 75 cc motocrosses?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
So does KTM.

How tall are you? Don't base your first bike choice on the small size of the engine. It's more important to get a frame that matches your size. The 50's & 65's are designed for folks who are about 4 feet tall. By your post I assume that you are older than 8 years old.

nslrider

Aug 24, 2003
Difference between "off-road" and "motocross"

Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but what's the difference between a "motocross" and an "off-road" bike. From what I understand, a "motocross" bike is a dirt bike that is not so much for stunts and just riding in the open, but more for racing in an organized dirt bike league, where as off-road is something you take in the woods and ride your heart out. Maybe what I said is bull****, if it is please correct me!

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
wow you should be looking at a KX100 or any other 80cc, a 50cc will get boring REALLY fast at your height and weight. even though the KX isnt the best bike to learn on but you will learn to control it in time.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by nslrider
I'm about 5'8" and weigh 150 pounds...
You need to be on at least a 125 at the minimum if you're wanting an mx bike. I'm 150lbs at 5'7" and a 125 is the smallest I would consider.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
5'8" 170 & ride a KX500. ;)

What are your goals? Experience? Race or play? You might want to start on a TTR125 or such, if you're a beginner with no feel for a bike yet. We've got one, and it's an awesome all around bike, provided you don't want much power to start with.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by nslrider
Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but what's the difference between a "motocross" and an "off-road" bike. From what I understand, a "motocross" bike is a dirt bike that is not so much for stunts and just riding in the open, but more for racing in an organized dirt bike league, where as off-road is something you take in the woods and ride your heart out. Maybe what I said is bull****, if it is please correct me!

Thats pretty much right to a certain extent..

Probably the most important question is: What type of riding are you going to be doing?.. If you are going to be doing mostly trail riding, occasional small jumps, and wide open feilds, an offroad bike is for you. If this is the case, a Kawasaki KDX 200 is perfect for you. You don't have to race an MX bike, but they are more designed to be ridden alot harder than your average offroad bike, have alot better suspension for launching off huge jumps, and are more suited for those types of things.

Your pretty tall, and I would say a 125cc MX, or a Kawasaki KDX 200 (which is two stroke as well) would be the way to go depending on what kinda of riding you plan to be doing.

Top Bottom