tcarp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Were the 87 YZs any good? Would one in good shape be worth $1000? Buddy of mine wants a good starter bike..

Thanks

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
NADA is $475.00, so it better be in near show room quality for a bill. Sounds like the owner is trying to make a profit off a bike. What condition is it in? What has he done to it?

Personally it better have a reworked suspention, lowerer bering, new clutch and a top end from Mr. Gorr to be worth that much. That is with the origional plastic and a few uninstalled parts thrown in too.

My advice, shop around, you can find a newer machine for the price and alot less BS.

Good Luck,

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Depending on what was done to it, it could be a good buy. I think blue book values are worthless. You could find an old YZ for $500 and by the time you do afew things to it it'll cost $1000 plus. I should now! My uncle gave me his 86' YZ250 for free. By the time i got the top/bottom end done, new coil, CDI, Stator, bearings, some plastic it cost just a tad over $1500. So yes, it might be worth $1000 if it doesnt need anything done to it.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont think the blue book is accurate on the old bikes. I am not going to say your numbers are wrong, their just fine.

The problem is this....Price a new bike. Figure 6000.00 Used modern bikes are 2500+ in my area. One thousand is not much for a running machine of any type. This bike looks good in the pictures. I watched Jim Holley do some incredible things on his 1988 YZ. I think I would give it a try if I wanted one.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Go for it. I sold my 87 yz125 last year for a grand, and it wasn't in any better condition than that one. The 87's had tractor-like low end with nice mid, but not much top.

Top Bottom