'89 KDX 200 - PC, FMF, DG, or Dynoport Pipe

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I'm going to be buying a pipe for my '89 KDX and was just wondering what pipes everyone else is running on their 89-94 KDX's. Did you notice a big power increase compared to the double-walled stocker? Any fitment problems? What jetting are you using? My elevation is anywhere from 1600-2200ft. I will also be adding Boyesen power reeds. Thanks a bunch.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
You may not find too many who has tried more than 1 or 2 brands head-head.
I have a DG, and it was , well, better than stock; its hard to quantify. A modest boost in all ranges. It fit well. Its was inexspensive, but not extra thick. a pipe guard is in order.

Gutting the stock pipe of its innards would provide significant benifit, some think on par with most aftermarket offerings.

If your after top end, the PC and FMF might be considered, if after low-mid, perhaps the dynoport, but I am supposing from second-hand information.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've tried the FMF and the PC. I prefer the PC for my style of riding - good low end power with a strong hit on the top end.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I have a somewhat pancaked FMF Fatty on my '90; a Dynoport is going on this weekend, if you can wait for my findings. The latter seems to be a bit thicker.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
NY---I have 1990 kdx200. I think yours should be identical. I checked my jetting chart and have a starting recommendation with the following mods.
No airbox lid, Boyesen reeds, PC pipe AND silencer(clean packing). This is my setup at 50-60 degrees, which should be almost the same for you at 30-40 degrees and elevation. 38 pilot---cel 2nd clip---152 main. Good luck!!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
dyno port!

It is like 2x as thick as a FMF or PC pipe. Gains should be better also since they more like a handmade cone pipe.

If anything, do the dyno port cause you will not damage the pipe like a PC or FMF

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
I'm also running the FMF with a Moose pipe-guard. The old original pipe was so flat on the left side that replacing it with anything was a major improvement. It still has great bottom-end & a nice mid-range hit with a little overrev.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've got a PC on my '89. Seems to do the job, has reasonable low end with a large top end. I'm hoping a top end rebuild and proper jetting will give me some more low(er) end that i'm lacking.

-Maurice

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
Thanks for all the replies. I looked through a bunch of other posts and its looks like FMF will not be gettin' my money...poor quality, no customer service!! I'm leaning towards the PC or Dynoport. Now I've gotta find a good deal on one.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
I got the FMF dessert pipe this weekend. don't think I'll have second thoughts about it. It's a good pipe, but I'll post a negatives about it if they occur.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Okay; rode yesterday with the Dynoport. Ran cleanly from the bottom to the top. No real seat-of-the-pants difference in feel as far as power goes, but it does look more "factory racer", being mostly a "coned" fabrication rather than the FMF/PC formed steel.

I did not do an inadvertent rock-dent test on it.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by placelast
Okay; rode yesterday with the Dynoport. Ran cleanly from the bottom to the top. No real seat-of-the-pants difference in feel as far as power goes, but it does look more "factory racer", being mostly a "coned" fabrication rather than the FMF/PC formed steel.

I did not do an inadvertent rock-dent test on it.

Be sure to jet the bike correctly. If it is running rich, then adding a pipe will feel like a waste of money. No difference.

Now if you jet the bike right, you will notice a difference. And with a pipe, it will scream difference!

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I put the FMF on my '90 and am happy with it so far. I too wondered about the FMF after reading some of the horror stories. I ordered the pipe and turbine core silencer from Fredette when he did the cylinder and suspension work on the bike last year. I told him that if it wasn't going to fit to not even send it. It actually fit pretty well so I don't know if he pre-fit it to a bike or if I just got lucky.

I'm not sure about the power since I did so many things at once but the bike runs really strong and suits my needs well.

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I'm interested in what you find on this. I'm going to be getting a pipe for my 91 kdx 200. Where's a good place to find the Dynoport?

Top Bottom