89 KDX Swingarm bearing removal question

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Ok guys.....I'm out in the garage as you read this...scratching my
head. Actually, during the process of reassembling the rear suspension of my 89 KDX, I noticed one of the swingarm bearings had taken in moisture and was damaged. I happen to have a spare swingarm (which is cracked) that I picked up with some other parts. The bearings in the bad swingarm look to be practically new.
I would like to remove them and put them in my good swingarm. My question is...can this be done with a good vise and a socket? As far as removal goes, is the swingarm bore the same on both sides, or does the bearing need to be pressed out in one particular direction. Don't have a hydraulic press handy, hence the vise question. Project is at a stand-still until I get past this, so any advise would be great.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
The good bearings need to be pressed out if you want to reuse them. We have done the vise, hammer, socket method in the past, and ruined the bearings. hope this helps.

Brenda

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks Brenda.....don't wanna ruin them...so exploring another option. I would have tried the socket/vise combo...so you saved me some dough. Take care.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Canon: Take this info for what it's worth. It worked for me. I posted this in another thread recently, copied and pasted it here for you.
I picked up a three-prong steering-wheel puller from W-Mart for about $6 CDN. Get the longest possible with a rod that is no larger in diameter that the bearing sleeve.
I took the prongs off, they're not needed. I use this with the largest 1/2in drive socket that will fit thru the bearings bore and another even larger socket that the bearing will fit inside when it comes out of its bore..
Take the threaded rod out of the puller, insert it through the drive end of the small socket, then through the bearing. On the other side of the bearing bore you'll need the larger socket with the open end against the s-arm. The threaded rod will go through this socket and finally screw into the the body of the puller. Then just put a ratchet on it and when tightened, the rod pulls the smaller socket into the bore of the s-arm where it butts up against the bearing and pulls the bearing out of the s-arm and into the larger socket-voila! You will have to reef on this move it no matter what but IMHO it's much safer than whacking on it with a hammer. No damage, no flying needles. Just be sure to center your work so the puller pulls straight. Same process for installation.
It's basically the same as your socket/vise combo but probably a little more precise that a vise( no off-set forces). I just made sure everything was lined up straight. Good luck. Do a search under bearings and your bound to get tons of info.
PM me if you have any questions. DVO

Top Bottom