rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
My bike (94 RM125) has been broken for the last month and a half or so. I pretty much gave up on it for a while but I want to go riding hardcore so Im back to trying to fix it.

The problem is electrical. I went for a ride, came back, shut it down and let it cool. I went to hop back on it about 45 mins later and it had no spark. There were no signs that there was anything wrong at all while out for the ride. I've tryed a differnt plug, and kill switch, but nothing changed. The plug boot isnt loose. I tested with a volt meter but that didnt get me anywhere either. It doesnt give the voltage specs for it in the manual, anyway, and the Suzuki dealer here is retarded and wont give me the numbers.

If anyone could help me out with the votage specs and what wires to test that would be great. I have a pretty good feeling it is the stator but if I order it and that isnt it, then Im stuck with it. The CDI is only 2 years old.

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks alot!
Ryan.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Check all your grounds. I believe that bike has a ground to the frame under the tank. I would pull the seat and tank and check all wires for shorts before replacing parts. Voltage checks are going to be tough. Its not like it has a constant power supply. All you can do is check continuity and resistance values.

I have no idea what the resistance should be on your stator. It shouldnt be high like over 300 ohms or shorted to ground (just a guess on that value).

Hope this helps at least a little. I know these type of goblins can be very frustrating.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
check the wires coming from the stater to the cdi and see if there is power
then check the wires from the cdi to the coil
you can use different kinds of test lights
have a friend kick it over while your checking each wire ,and eliminate as needed

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Electrical Problems (Testing Coil)

Hey,
I have been having electrical problems all summer on my 94 RM125. In April or May, I went for a ride, came back, and parked it. It was running perfectly. I came back to the bike, went to start it and it wouldnt start, hasnt run since. Pulled the plug and it was oil fouled. Popped a new plug in it and still no spark.

I went over the electrical with a ohm meter and the stator was fryed. I replaced the stator and I now get a weak spark, but barley and only about half the time I should. I have the plate and stator lined up properly. I went through my manual and tested all of the electrical. The CDI is fine, Ive tested it and got readings that match the manual. In the manual it says if I test the coil I should get a reading of 11000 to 15000 ohms with a Suzuki tester. I have a Mastercraft tester and Im getting 013. Is this my tester or is my coil fryed? Ive tryed differnt sparkplug wires and caps, differnt plugs. Nothing helps.

I though I would get input from the board before I put down $100 on somthing I may not need. I want to get some riding in before the snow flys!

Thanks

EDIT: I have the tester set on 2000K. When I first touch the wires it jumps too around 400 then drops to 013. is that 13000 or 13?

Last edited:

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
I Have A 2001 Rm 250 And Had Electrical Problems. I Too Tested The Cdi And Everything Was In Specs (i Work On The Electrical Systems Of Jets). After Changing Out Everything Else In The System I Finally Changed The Cdi, And Now It Works. So It's Possible For It To Be In Specs And Still Cause A Weak Or No Spark.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the replys guys.. I'll try this stuff out before I go and spend some money.

Thanks!

Top Bottom