94 RM125 electrical problems, or other?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
94 RM125 electrical? spark, but no start

Hey,
I have a 94 RM125 that hasn't ran since may. The CDI is in good working condition. I atfirst thought it was the stator because there was no spark. Replaced the stator and it made no improvement to the problem. I then replaced the coil. I now have spark, but it still wont run.

Its driving me crazy. I have spark, good compression (atleast 150psi) and gas. I have 89 octane in it for the time being as had no premium and had some 89 so I mixed it up to see if it would start.

Does anyone have a idea why it wont run? I missed all the summer riding so I wouldnt mind getting in some winter riding, lol.

Thanks

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
could be the pulser coil if that didn't get replaced with the stator. Also check to see if you may have sheered the flywheel key. Sometimes when I cant start my bike I found that putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth violently will get enough gas into the crank to start. Sometimes when it hasn't run in a while the gas in the crankcase will evaporate and leave a oil residue. This can make it not start by absorbing the fuel from kicking it . Good Luck

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
Thanks for the tips, ill check my pulsar coil.. my flywheel keys is not sheared. Ill try the rocking back and fourth thing.
Thanks again

quintwatson

Jan 22, 2006
RM -

I don't mean to insult if you have already thought of this, but when you replaced your stator, did you set the timing correctly? Just having spark is good, but you may need to make sure it is sparking at the correct time in the stroke. Your manual should have details on how to set it to the factory setting. If not, I may be able to dig up a manual from my 92.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
i have a similar question i have an '88 rm125 it'll start and idle fine but once i put it in gear and start riding it'll lose all power and die,ive been told its probably the stator but i wanted to be sure before i go spend the money

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
russdaddy said:
i have a similar question i have an '88 rm125 it'll start and idle fine but once i put it in gear and start riding it'll lose all power and die,ive been told its probably the stator but i wanted to be sure before i go spend the money
Does it still have a nice fat blue spark after dying? If so, you can probably rule out the stator. Crack open the carb drain when it dies and verify that there's fuel in the bowl. If there's plenty of fuel I'd check the top end for signs of siezure.

Top Bottom