intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
Hey guys, Got one for ya. Well my 1995 rm will not idle. It runs great. starts a little hard but it has real good power. Well i can get it to idle if i turn the idle screw ( the choke lever) almost all the way out. This does not help because the motor races back down to idle. It actually seems to be running lean when i do this. So i have gone the hard way. I just make sure i keep the motor running over jumps and in the corners. This is a difficult at best. Could someone give me some ideas. I bought a new filter and have rebuilt the carb twice to no avail. I also looked for a intake leak and could not find one....Anything? Thanks in advance RIDE ON>>>>>>

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
2 strokes aren’t designed to idle. For optimum performance and good throttle response you don’t want them to. Try setting the idle (after it’s warmed up) so it will only stay running for 10 to 15 seconds before it dies. If it is set to idle for much longer, the rpms don’t come down quick enough when you let off for a turn and it can be hard to slow down. Practice using the clutch more so it doesn’t stall on you.

If it is starting hard, check the reeds. Poor sealing or cracked/frayed reeds will make it difficult to start. Also set the air screw. There are several threads on doing it if you do a search.

Good luck

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Clean the Exh Valve

...if it hasn't been done for a while. I couldn't get mine to idle nor find the right jetting until it was cleaned.

Top Bottom