slapshot1540

Jul 27, 2008
got a 96 cr250. took the carb off to drain old gas out. now when i open the petcock it pours gas out of the bleeder line. What happened?

Last edited:

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I cant read that. Did you say you took the carb off?? Of did u pull the fuel line and drain it.

Sounds like your floats stuck. There is a float and needle inside the carb, When there is enough gas in the float bowl, the float rises sleaing the needle in the carb to stop fuel flow. If its stuck, fuel will continue to pour in, and out the overflow tubes.

Or if you took the carb apart and you weren't carefull you could have messed up the float height.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Could be some crud got between the float valve needle and it's seat, preventing the float valve from seating and sealing.

Take the carb off, pull the float bowl off and take a look. Clean out any debris. Make sure the float level is right and the float moves freely.

Re-assemble with care, put it back on the bike and see if it still leaks.

slapshot1540

Jul 27, 2008
thats what i figured was wrong it i just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else. i dont know how it woulda happened but o well. anyone know how i can avoid having to take the whole subframe off this freakin bike just to get the carb off and on?

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
slapshot1540 said:
thats what i figured was wrong it i just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else. i dont know how it woulda happened but o well. anyone know how i can avoid having to take the whole subframe off this freakin bike just to get the carb off and on?
I assure you its really not that hard. Just a couple bolts and its off. On my 00' CR, i remove the number plates, then loosen the airfilter box to carb clamp, and remove the 2 bottom bolts on the subframe (I only loosen the top), and just swing the subframe upsidedown. Then pull the carb off. The more I take off, the easier I find it to be.

Top Bottom