96 KDX 200 is this hard to start?

msmotorsports

Sep 22, 2010
My Second post. :laugh:

Starting it cold is fine maybe the 2nd kick. When it's warm though and it sits for say 5 or 10 minutes I have to kick it 6-10 times in order for it to fire back up. When it's warm to me it should fire on the first kick. Is this true or are the majority of you needing to kick it many times when warm to get it started?

Also, the guy who I purchased it from said the top and bottom was redone 20 hours ago. I checked compression and it was around 135 psi. Is that ok? What would a new fresh top end have?

Thanks for any help and perspective

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
My 89 showed about 170 after my last top end. 135 seems a bit on the low side, although not horrible. You check that your pilot circuit is clear, reeds are good, main seals are not leaking?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It absolutely should fire first kick when warm.

FWIW, some electrical issues can be heat sensitive. When the stator went bad on my '84, the first symptom was hard starting when hot. Eventually, the bike would die when hot and need to cool down completely before it would restart. It was hard to diagnose as the stator checked out fine testing it with a multimeter using the specs in the manual.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
It absolutely should fire first kick when warm.

FWIW, some electrical issues can be heat sensitive. When the stator went bad on my '84, the first symptom was hard starting when hot. Eventually, the bike would die when hot and need to cool down completely before it would restart. It was hard to diagnose as the stator checked out fine testing it with a multimeter using the specs in the manual.

Good point Dave

Hey SR5, looks like coal creek on 10/14, you up for it? /threadjack

msmotorsports

Sep 22, 2010
Sounds good guys thanks for the tips....yeah 135 doesn't sound so good once everything warms up it will go down for sure.

Julien what is the pilot circuit and how do I tell if the reeds are good or not?

Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Inside the carb. Pull the pilot jet. I usually run a guitar string through there to make sure all the little holes are clean. Use carb cleaner and compressed air for the spot the pilot comes out of. For the reeds, pull the reed block off and check if there are gaps between the petals and the block. If so, they need to be replaced. If you haven't replaced the reeds, it's worth it to go ahead and get some boyesen #607 power reeds. Cheap, direct bolt on for the stock cage, and much improved over the stock single stage reeds.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
1 kick, hot or cold. These bikes are about the easiest starting bikes ever.

Everyone is assuming of course that you are running fresh gas, your filter is clean and you have a nice new correctly gapped plug in the bike before you start pulling the carb, jets and electrics apart looking for the problem. :cool:

msmotorsports

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks guys for the replies.....sounds like I have some more work to do. We have a ride coming up next weekend. Not sure if I'll be able to change the reeds, but I may be able to clean the carb.

Top Bottom