Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I am wondering if anyone can tell me about this bike, I found a good price 2 thousand for a 360exc with WER, FMF pipes, skid plate, exhaust guard, flywheel wt, well maintained. Is this a worthy deal? or should I spend a little more and get something better? I am looking for a good second bike, more woods friendly and also streetable. Any suggestions on this bike would help, I tried a search and no luck. Thanks....

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
The 96's were known for having jetting issues, but this one may have that sorted out looking at all of the accessories it has. It'll be a handfull in the woods. I have a '97 MXC and it's been a great bike. I desert race, but also play around on tight single track with it, though my sons KX250 works a lot better in the tight stuff due to it's weight. You'll love the torque. When you grab a hold of the loud handle, you'll know it! Sounds like a good price if it's in good shape.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I had a 97 250 -0 same bike except for engine and front forks I think.

Good bike, great motor. The 360 is supposed to be a torque monster.

OEM parts shouldn't be a problem.

I had the following accessories
skid plate - flatlandracing.com
V-force delta II reed valve
replacement rear disk - from erider (I wore the first 1 out)
rear fender pack - dirt-bike-gear.com
electronic speedo/odo - trailtech.net
handguards - enduroeng.com
replacement levers - wirtz, from denniskirk.com (I think)
You can get graphics from graphicmx.com or ktmworld.com

UFO still makes plastic and of course you can go stock

Hope this helps.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I too, like that bike. I do not feel that it is a handful in the woods as previously mentioned. It is very light and easy to ride. Of course, I am biased towards 500's so the KTM360EXC is a lightweight in my book.

I like the suspension on that bike also.

Chris

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Best buddy had one, we team raced it some. Jetting/fouling problems a little more than normal.

The '98 and later KTM's are lighter, and turn better.....

Greg rode his 360 for several years, and was kinda stuck in the B class. He bought a '00 300exc, and raced some of the National enduro circuit, got bumped to A. He was a much better woods racer on the '00.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I keep trying to tell my wife that - if I'd just get a new bike I'd be so much better. She hasn't gone for it yet.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
They are very reliable. The jetting issues are solved by changing to an after-market pipe and changing the carb. slide to a #7.
The 360 has gobs of torque, and you'll actually go faster in the tight stuff when you short shift the motor as the power is more managable this way. Straight line acelleration is awesome! Front fork seals will leak unless you put fork boots on to keep them clean.
If the bike is jetted properly the wide ratio trans and large fuel cell give you very good range for a 2-stroke: between 45-90 miles depending on the terrain you're riding.
The Ohlins shock is excellent; the forks are average, but the adjustability while riding is cool. (One fork handles compression, the other rebound, and the adjusters are on top of the forks.)
Overall I consider it a good do all bike, capable of woods or desert.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Well I have gathered a great deal here. First that newer bikes are always better. Second, only better if you can ride. So, with the fact that I am not RC for sure, I think it is a good second bike. I just want something my girl can ride and not be like a KX 250, but more like an XR. But an XR might break here interest to soon once I get here riding on occasion, want something a tad better. Well you I really like that KTM 200SX from reading MARCH dirtrider. Anyone tell about that bike? Well Thanks again, and I look forward to the new KTM
JS

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
A 360 might be a bit much if you're looking for something XR-like. As previously posted, I find my boys KX250 to be a bit more rider-freindly than my own 360, particularly in tight stuff. That's not to say the 360 isn't a great bike - it is, and I love it, but the KX has a flatter torque curve, is lighter and doesn't beat me up as much.

As for the KTM 200, your girl would probably love that bike. Get the 360 and the 200.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Speaking from having owned one they are GREAT bikes but I don't think I'd ever put XR and 360 in the same sentance unless it was "The KTM360 is the polar opposite of a XR anything." Forks can be made AWESOME with some help from MX-Tech, Jer mods them to be like the "works" forks that were too expensive to produce even on a limited production like KTM had. The shock is great stock and is scary good after a trip to MX-Tech as well. Don't even try to jet the bike without a proper pipe. The stock stinger section is a joke but the FMF Gnarly will make it a sweet piece. Adding a space plate also makes the bike much easier to get jetted, most bikes should have this aluminum plate from the dealer (located between the carb and cylinder). Eric Gorr went through mine and modified the "Z" axis (I believe) dimension of the power valve which made the bike more of a 3 stroke in terms of power delivery which is exactly what I wanted. Also check the DRN Tested section for a great modification I did, a juice clutch! :thumb: As has also been covered the stock parts availability can be tricky but to be honest I have not heard of much breaking on these bikes. Since your looking at the EXC (same model I had) there will be zero comparison between it and a KX250 in the woods. While the KX might be lighter the 360exc will be worlds more ridable since the exc model has ratios much more in tune with woods allowing you to really use the power as needed.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
but to be honest I have not heard of much breaking on these bikes.

I broke the pressure rod on the rear master cylinder, but that was because the guy I bought it from thought the rear master cylinder only needed one bolt to hold it on. ;) So far, I am very happy with mine. It looks good sitting in the garage! :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Green Horn also forgot to mention the faulty triple clamp pinch bolts that can not take 100ft/lb or torque. :silly: Now I will give him the fact that it was a clicker style torque wrench he was using and since his arm is "calibrated" there was no reason to pay attention to the obviously defective click :silly:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
:)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Stock one is still on Green Horn's bike. Granted I rarely used it because I had a stand but I think that the kickstand bolt was more of a PDS era issue?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
Stock one is still on Green Horn's bike.

OMG!! :scream: You mean there's actually something STOCK on my bike? :moon:

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I owned a '96 EXC 300. The bike was an unbreakable tank and extremely fun to ride. I had an after market pipe and silencer. Never had any problems. I would not have sold it but my wife....... Uh, wouldn't let me have two. The only thing I didn't like was the cable clutch. Pulling on it after two hours of tight woods would kill my arm. But after awhile I just stopped using it to shift in the woods. A buddy had a '98 and his clutch was way easier to pull than mine.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
One of my buds has that year 360sx. It is a great bike and very reliable. Has the FMF Gnarly pipe. These bikes are not torquey at all compared to a cr or kx 500, but actually have a powerband more like an amped up 250. I've ridden it and its a blast. Actually corners very well. The Ohlins linkage shock is excellent. The Zoke forks are adequate but tend to deflect bad when you hit something like a sharp root at high speed. Very fast bike. If they had put the 50mm WP conventional fork on it it would have had better suspension than any new KTM. I say this even though I currently have an 03 450sx, an 02 250sx and and 02 200sx (125 with 200 motor).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom