98 kx250 - bore out or just replace piston?

deanmc

Sep 21, 2002
I just bought a 98 kx250. the compression seems low and Im not sure what to do. Should I just buy a new piston and rings? or does the age require me to bore it out and buy a larger piston? Or can I replace a sleave or something??? please help.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Your motor doesn't have a sleeve stock. If it has one it is because it was installed afterwards. It comes stock with fragile chrome plating. Before making a decision, I would definitely dismantle the top end to give a look at the cylinder. You will need the shop to measure the specs and tell you if it is allright to just get a piston and rings on the same cylinder. If the cylinder plating is worn, you will then have a few expensive options. Get a new cylinder, get the same one replated with good stuff like Nicom, take the opportunity to go for the big bore kit. I know Eric Gorr has a very affordable big bore kit that includes Nicom plating, piston and rings. This would be your best and cheaper option; one rare occasion where best and cheapest meet. I have gone the big bore route myself and I don't regret it.

Top Bottom