A spode's view of Asterisk Knee braces

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
TS,
Thanks for the report.
I have to say that your report would almost mimic mine. I too found troubles at first with the fit. I now have fitting them down to an art. And I also find that one key to good comfort and fit is the hose. I found that if I fold the hose over the brace after lacing it helps to keep the heat down.

I do own both the EVS RS6 and the Asterisks. To be honest, the EVS braces are faster to mount. I also find that I forget about having them on...until they start dropping down, which they will do. The Aterisks will drop a little too but doesn't seem to be as bad as the EVS's.
I've also wrecked with each brace. I have not been injured while wearing either brace, but I can tell you that at one time I was a backer of the "flexible" brace theory....I am no more. I could feel the shock of my last crash with the EVS's and even though I didn't get injured, I felt at the time that the Asterisks would have not been quite the close call I had with the EVS's. Who knows if that's true, but I was evaluating specifically the feel and protection of the two braces and was mucho conscience of them at the time.

Bottom line: Even though I like the ease of mounting and the light weight of the EVS's, I just don't trust them anymore after having many hours with the Asterisks. And like Truespode mentioned, the feel good confidence factor is worth lots.

Jus another spodes .02

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Asterisk has given me a new life. I definitely would not ride without them (actually I can't ride without them). I have noticed that getting them positioned correctly makes all the difference. When I first got them I was wearing them too low. Now, before I fasten the top buckle on my boots, I always make sure to "hike up" the braces and bend my knee several times to check the position. They wore a hole in my new moose qualifiers in one ride (30 miles). Also quickly removed the graphics from my WR250F. I've just purchased a YZ seat and tank (gotta love that eBay :)), so maybe there will be less contact.

That there is another spodely report.:confused:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Are you sure Billy was the ONLY one that tried to help you get them fitted?;)

DK

Feb 26, 2000
I've had mine for a couple months and have both SX'ed and trail ridden with them. I'm very pleased with them and after riding a couple minutes you don't even feel you have them on, but you do get a feeling the knees are a lot more protected. I too needed to spend time with Billy over the phone to get the fit down but it was quick and easy. I just wish I'd bought them BEFORE I'd done my knee in skiing. AND I think they make more sense and work better skiing than they do dirt biking...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't get it?
Man your short term memory stinks! "These things don't fit!" "I'm going to send them back."..... I think I deleted about 5 or 6 emails a couple weeks ago from ya', how soon they forget :whiner:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Good writeup. I am greatful every ride I have the Cell braces on. The extension stops and full knee coverage have really saved my knees, so I am able to ride and endo another day:cool:

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
I own both the EVS and just recently bought the Asterisk. Bottom line. Asterick stays on the leg farther up after a moto and it protects better. When I used to crash & burn with the EVS my knees would ALWAYS be scraped up over the middle knee protector. With the extra armor the Asterisk has over the knee I have NEVER scraped up my knee with these braces.

I had a close call the other day. I was practicing corners, as I was about half way through the burm I leaned to far over and layed the bike on the ground. As this happened my entire body went over the handle bars as my right foot and ankle got stuck on the inside of the handle bars. My body went over the bike sideways and as my body hit the other side of the ground I heard and felt the Asterisk crackle... I was able to stand up and walk away, I put some ice and my knee was sore for a couple of days.

If I did not have knee braces on, my knee would have snapped sideways like a tooth pick. :scream:

Moral of the story "DONT RIDE WITHOUT PROPER KNEE PROTECTION". Its cheap insurance.

Ride safe, ride longer.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
The only thing I will add -

I have a CTI2 for my left leg - blown knee, brace was prescribed. The straps were causing my calf to cramp up while playing volleyball - I play v-ball a lot more often than I ride. I bought a set of Asteriks based on the good things every body was saying about them, I had money in my health care spending account, & Billy was able to answer my questions very honestly before I decided to drop the cash.

Overall the Asteriks are great. The left leg was a very easy transition from the CTI2 to the Asterik. The right leg has taken a bit longer to get used to since I didn't wear a brace before. My only complaint is with the 'pad' that registers on the shin. I have a fairly pronounced V - instead of flat - and the Asteriks don't fit my shins as well as my CTI2. Go figure the CTI2 was reworked because of this. I have not called Billy to see what if anything can be done. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Brian

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
NVR, we've fixed that issue, call Brad and set up how ar when you want them fixed,the new shape match's your tibia better and is more comfy.

Billy

Roughrider

Feb 27, 2002
Billy, I got mine today, and have but one thing to say about the braces: WOW! Fit great, and can't tell I'm riding with them, and since I'm not a tank grabber, I don't think graphics will be a problem.:moon:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom