About my Cylinder on my CR85.. need to know if its still usable please help!!

stephend

Mod Ban
Jan 7, 2007
I have a cr 85 .. 2003.. on my previouse piston the cylinder ring broke and a chip of it totaly effed up my whole piston and it left a scratch about 3 inched long from the top of my cylinder past the exhaust port.. it honestly looks like it wont do anything its not deep enough for your fingernail to get caught in it. but i do know that even the littlest hair line scratch can effect compression.. i wish i can throw up a pic of it but does anyone know of anyone who had some damage in there cylinder and is still usable . ide hate to buy a whole new cylinder.. and to hone it the guy said its going to be a pain to fix.. he said u can not bore out my cylinder i would need to get a sleeve let me know if this is wrong or any comments about this..
thanks .

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Generally if it doesn't even snag a fingernail, a light hone and reuse it, assuming the Nikasil is still intact otherwise. The compression loss will be negligible.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Cylinders get scratched all of the time. If it's not very wide or not very deep, it's not likely to be a problem. My rule of thumb, if it's narrower than the ring end gap, it's ok. You wont lose any more compression through that than you will the ring gap.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Trying to diagnose the problem without even a picture is sketchy at best. Also any damage is going to have some effect.Lastly wWhoever told you it couldn't be overbored is full of crap. My son rides a 102cc 2003 CR85 that Eric Gorr built.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
If your finger nail don't hang it sounds like its more or less a mark up the cylinder.
Hone it and put in new piston and rings should be fine. I've had it happen more than one time the plated cylinder is tough and piston takes most of the damage.

kadin

Mar 2, 2007
help

stephend said:
I have a cr 85 .. 2003.. on my previouse piston the cylinder ring broke and a chip of it totaly effed up my whole piston and it left a scratch about 3 inched long from the top of my cylinder past the exhaust port.. it honestly looks like it wont do anything its not deep enough for your fingernail to get caught in it. but i do know that even the littlest hair line scratch can effect compression.. i wish i can throw up a pic of it but does anyone know of anyone who had some damage in there cylinder and is still usable . ide hate to buy a whole new cylinder.. and to hone it the guy said its going to be a pain to fix.. he said u can not bore out my cylinder i would need to get a sleeve let me know if this is wrong or any comments about this..
thanks .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The post is over a month old I'm sure it's been addressed. And heaven forbid a "compressionburst" would happen :whoa:

Top Bottom