About Ready To Sell This Thing!

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Yes, jetting will stay what it is. It runsclean, and I'll just get over the knocking. I've checked cable routing, and there seems to be enough slack, and no binding, but, I don't know what I'm looking for, so I'll have my dad look at it when he gets home. There's probably not a problem, I'm just getting so paranoid these days ;) You have to really listen to notice, and the funny thing is, if you turn the bars, it doesn't idle up for a few seconds, and when or if it does, is very very subtle, I think it just idles too high all the time, wich is more what I'm worried about. For now, I'll say there's no problem there. Once I get the idle right, I'll wory about it then. Thanks a ton, guys for all you're help and suggestions. Most people can't put up with me and my perfectionism, I don't know how you guys do. My dad says I'm full of poo (but he hasn't heard the high idle thing yet). In his words, "If you want something to be perfect, buy a rock, noyhing can ever go wrong with one." Maybe he's right ;) But really, if I get this idle thing under control, I'll just live with the pinging, like he says, it's a two stroke :scream:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by canyncarvr
who's to say the cable isn't brought up short just sitting there! (hi idle).

I just re-read this. Good point, maybe this IS what's causing the high idle? Maybe it's been kinked/damged when changing the needle position?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
OK, lightbulb just came on. After looking at the manual, it said the throttle should have 2-3mm of play. Does this mean twisting the grip 2-3mm before engaging, or when you pull off the dust cover, and pull the cable out, it comes out 2-3mm? Probably a stupid question, but right now the grip itself has no play. Please tell me this is wrong and just needs adjustment<crossses fingers>

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
a friend of mine with a 2000 kdx200 was having some minor jetting probs, so he tried a bunch of diffrent jets, and a different needle. he couldnt really get it exactly right, so he started adjusting the air screw in VERY small amounts, then riding a little ways around, stopping the bike(keep it running), another very minor adjustment of the airscrew. he continued to do this for a half hour or so, and when he was finished, he said he got much better results from the minor adjustments of the airscrew than any of the changes he made to jetting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: minor AS changes effective.

Yes ! and !! and !!!

stan: No, your grip has no freeplay of course. That's why idle changes when you turn the bars of course.

Don't worry so much about the 'where to measure' part. Just GET 'some'. If the cable is fine, the end is properly seated on the slide side (sorry, I still have my doubts. I continue to read that is where this started, so, I think, well...THAT'S WHERE IT STARTED), then adjust for freeplay at one end or the other. Easiest is probably up at the throttle.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Woohoo! Didn't read you're post untill now, but you were right! I adjusted the throttle cable to have some play. Problems gone. Airscrew is now 2 turns out, idle screw is now effective, idle is normal, even when running out of gas(although I won't do that anymore ;) ) Pinging and knocking still there? Yes, but it runs like a champ, no spooge, crisp, clean running, and I'll learn to live with the knocking. It's probably excessive carbon buildup from the last owner, a 50 year old guy who just putted around when jetted too rich, too. Haven't done a plug chop, but this is the first time I've ever stuck a plug in a bike, ridden it for a minute, pulled it out, and been able to see anything but black, wet stuff. I thought the plug was fouled after adjusting the throttle cable, because it started then died, I later discovered why... It would only run with the airscrew in before, well, now it wouldn't. I stuck a new plug in, and kept it revved up so it wouldn't die, but it ran very poorly on low end. Adjusted the airscrew,pulled out the plug( wich was a light tan), stuck the old plug in, and it fired right up :aj:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
And yes canyncarvr, the collar is properly seated on the slide. :) :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
baby steps baby steps baby steps...(that from a movie you may know nothing about)

Ok. So you have some free play, and that fixed some 'stuff'. You say the AS is 2 turns out? For the next single, one-each-at-a-time thing to do, read (again?) the post from keith500r. Adjust your AS NO MORE than 1/8 turn at a time, 1/16 preferable. Check for throttle response under load..that meaning a quick wrist flick in 2nd gear going up a slight incline (not a hill climb..just uphill), from just off idle say to 1/2 or so. Response should be quick, sure and right now! If it bogs a bit, turn the AS in as noted, ride around some...try it again. Adjust to best throttle response.

re: seated nylon collar. OK. If you say so. SOMEthing changed the effective length of your throttle cable. What was it?

Just one more thing...remember the input that thinks the noise you're hearing is NOT pinging...just kawi racket. Be correct in what you do, do it right, but don't worry yourself to a headache over not much.

Of course, deciding WHEN it's 'not much' is the key, 'eh?? ;)

Have fun!!

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by canyncarvr
the noise you're hearing is NOT pinging...just kawi racket.
Have fun!!

I disagree. I realize that the Kawi racket is there too. ie rattling,clutch noise, clicking, more rattling. That's all there, but I'm pretty sure this pinging and knocking is abnormal, but, hey, if it runs fine, I can live with it. Maybe I kinked the throttle cable? you're right, something made the cable shorter, and I know you still doubt that the callar and spring are seated correctly, but I've checked and double checked, it is. Other than the airscrew(I'll tinker with that at the trails some) Everything is going to stay the way it is. I'm not going to pull the carb of again unless it is definately needed. Toying too much may result in more bad than good, as I've just learned. I'm content :aj:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Can I quote you on that??

I'm content

I guess so!

You're right. I've not listened to your bike. Your quote of me is out of context. I didn't state it as fact. I can't/don't have an opinion on what your bike's problems may be by virtue OF that noise. It may well be a problem...or not.

At this point, though...the above quote is better'n what the thread started with, 'eh?

Good Job!

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
cc,guys,stan ur not done.....now it's good till u want a little more and then a little isn't enough.then the pipe ,reeds oh lord .stan here's the title for ur next post....CAN'T TUNE IT TO THIS DAMN PIPE lol jk man good work :)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
You're right, my next post will be something like that. I plan on buying a PC pipe from Sage as soon as I save up the cash. Yes, I said I'm content, but that pinging and knocking will take some time to get used to, hopefully, I'll find lots of carbon when it's top end time, and get that sorted out. For now, though, I can't afford to be anything but 'content' ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As long as you're short of cash (so won't be spending any time doing anything with the new stuff you just bought)...you can use your time to do some other productive thing.........like take the top of that carb again and have someone show you how that nylon insert is NOT seated correctly!! :)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
How many times do I have to tell ya... ;)

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I had an ingrown toenail that I kept messing with for about a year till my wife made me go to the doctor, they fixed it the first time.

Sometimes you might just have to take the thing down to the shop and ask for help, I also was ready to cut off my toe to fix the problem vs. admit defeat and go to the doctor!

PS. I had a 220 at the shop that would not come clean with jetting, turned out the ignition timing was way off from the factory

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Well, we went riding yesterday, unloaded the bike, and it ran horrible. It would bog and do the classic buuuuuuhhaaaa off idle, and didn't run clean anywhere. This was all at C. Dave's recommendations. 155 main, 45 pilot, needle in 2nd from top. We went back to the truck, changed out everything back to stock(160 main, 48 pilot, needle in middle) and my dad made sure the slide retainer was properly in place, it was. Bike ran much better, clean eveywhere, but still pinged and knocked like there was no tomorrow, even my dad noticed it this time. We said oh well, and went off to ride. After it warmed up a little bit more, pingign seemed to come less. We rode 68 miles yesterday, through some gnarly stuff, all the while, ping,pingknock,ping, etc.,.. It runs great, clean everywhere, but still pings and knocks considerably. Until next ride, I'll live with it, but next time out, we'll drop the needle one more to see if that helps. Maybe I will take it in to the local Kawasaki dealer, maybe something like timing is off from the factory. Who knows, but as long as it runs good, I really hate to toy any more.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
OK OK...so it's seated. .......I knew that.......

Seeing as this bike isn't doing something 'new' since you've had it...but has been doing it ever SINCE you've had it, it may well be a matter of the last owner buggering it.

Checking the timing wouldn't be a bad idea.

Note: You're going two different directions at the same time. If you richen the jetting (from CDave's to oem) and things improve...then 'but next time out, we'll drop the needle one more to see if that helps.' is going backwards.....in the same direction that works 'not as good'.

It's something else.

You'll get it...eventually.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Oops... I meant raise the needle, to effectively richen it, by dropping the clip. Next time we're out, I'll change the jets one at a time to see wich one made the difference between running good and bogging, although I think it was the needle. I'll get it, eventually... ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom