09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Boring on here lately :(

I use Bell Ray foam oil and I think it is too thick and difficult to remove when cleaning. I do not like to use gas so I use warm water and simple green and I get the dirt out and some oil remains and that is OK w/me. I am thinking about going back to just using 80/90 gear oil like I used 20/30 years ago and never had any issues. I have seen the "No Toil" stuff and may give it a try as well. I just want to be able to clean w/out gas/solvents and not blow up my scooters. Also I have stoped putting the ring of grease around the seal and I just put a heavy bead of the Bell Ray there (my bike came new w/out any grease around the seal).

I want to consider the environment and all, but I am not a tree hugger. If fact trees and I do not get along well.

What is your trick?

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
tdunn976 said:
I use No Toil and have for years.
Works well and cleans easily with cleaner and warm water.

Not that I am a cheap azz, but do you have to use the No Toil cleaner? it was pretty costly

Yes, perhaps I am a cheap azz or just stupid - buy a bike for 7k and skimp on maintainance supplies :coocoo:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred....as to your grease seal....PC racing makes a foam gasket that you affix to your air box, which takes place of the grease. I've used one for years and love them. They're cheap, they last and they work! :nod:

I still use the Belray...so you won't like my suggestions there.

PS: You are too a tree-hugger, you tree-hugger you :moon:

Shagy100

Sep 4, 2006
Fred i use the belray filter oil and and belray grease. To clean my filters i use ,mineral spirits then imediatly after use hot soapy water. The mineral spirits takes all the oil off very fast and doesnt break the foam down like gas.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
09oneL said:
Not that I am a cheap azz, but do you have to use the No Toil cleaner? it was pretty costly

Yes, perhaps I am a cheap azz or just stupid - buy a bike for 7k and skimp on maintainance supplies :coocoo:
Dawn dishwashing liquid will work but not nearly as well!!
The cleaner will out last the oil everytime.
You tree hugger you!

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Shagy100 said:
Fred i use the belray filter oil and and belray grease. To clean my filters i use ,mineral spirits then imediatly after use hot soapy water. The mineral spirits takes all the oil off very fast and doesnt break the foam down like gas.

Shagy,

I used to do it your way - It sucks!!!!

FYI,

PTR HS coming soon - I am riding HT and looking for hole shot bets - you in?

Marko, My partner's (Duffy) shoulder is in bad shape, if he bails on me would you want to ride?

PTR MX this Saturday - anyone other than me going?

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Gas to clean w/ chemical resistant gloves

Bell-Ray Oil-filter oil

White Waterproof/Lithium grease for the seal - easy to see dirt.

... not what you wanted to hear.

- I remember the gear oil days.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Appreciate the invite Fred. I won't be at Portland.....maybe to spectate. BC is a big maybe at this point. There's an off-road triathlon just south of BCMC on the 25th...I may be doing that.

But if Shaggy starts talking shat..... :think:

:)

Shagy100

Sep 4, 2006
Yam7M said:
Appreciate the invite Fred. I won't be at Portland.....maybe to spectate. BC is a big maybe at this point. There's an off-road triathlon just south of BCMC on the 25th...I may be doing that.

But if Shaggy starts talking shat..... :think:

:)
well you know mark i am kind of a BIG deal :nener:

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
I've been using the Bel-Ray for years. I then got some Motorex filter oil with my promo package. It's much thinner and went on way better then the Bel-Ray. Back to the thick blue stuff now, because I ran out of the Motorex.
Cleaning is the mineral spirits parts washer tank, followed by Dawn dish soap & water.
I actually tried thinning the Bel-Ray with mineral spirits so it will squeeze thru the filter better like the Motorex. I'm not sure if I like this yet.

Has anyone tried the Twin-Air oil (not the bio stuff)? Looks to be close to same priced as Bel-Ray.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Maxima Filter oil is thin and thickens up after it's applied. I use kerosene to clean the filter and then hot water with liquid tide.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Shagy100 said:
plannin on racing in the M class. i dont know why you care cause i doubt youll be at portland anyways.
You got it all wrong shaggy,I don't care as it's your entree money - Just find it odd as the M class was designed for the top 10 overall fastest riders. Kinda what the AA class is to the enduro's. I say let it rip to the first turn if it makes you happy. :cool:

Shagy100

Sep 4, 2006
Wolverine423 said:
You got it all wrong shaggy,I don't care as it's your entree money - Just find it odd as the M class was designed for the top 10 overall fastest riders. Kinda what the AA class is to the enduro's. I say let it rip to the first turn if it makes you happy. :cool:
so your tellin me i have NO buisness in the class. Im pretty much just rdin the class to ride as im not goin for points and to gauge where im at as far as what i should ride come next year when i race full time again.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We use No Toil and have for quite a few years now. Love being able to toss the filters in the washer and they come out clean. It lasts quite some time too, I can't even remember when we got the bottle we have now and it's about half gone.

Used to use Bel-Ray, but yeah the sticky/messy factor was annoying.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
09oneL said:
Boring on here lately :(

I use Bell Ray foam oil and I think it is too thick and difficult to remove when cleaning.

oil , shmoil

maybe we should start a facebook petition to bring back HARDBALL?? :p

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Go get 'em Shaggy! :nod:

Just a bit of advice though.....I would encourage you not to go for the holeshot. Trust me......the first corner in M class is one hell of a lot different that Light Team!

You'll have a clear track for a while too, which is nice. But Fred Boling and the rest of the Heavy Teamers will be along shortly to give you some company. :)

(so, was your post that bad that you had to take it down?)

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I also use kerosene. I pour about one cup into a stainless pan, wash out the dirt and filter oil, then swueeze it out, and pour the cup into a small bucket. Then I wipe the dirt out of the pan, pour in another cup, and give it another kerosene rinse. That kerosene is recycled back into the container.

Then I wash the filter in a 50/50 solution of simple green & hot water, and dry it out by squeezing, patting with dry towels, and blowing with shop air.

After that, I apply the filter oil , squeeze it in really well, the squeeze any extra out of the filter, and call it good. Usually the filter oil displaces a few droplets of water. The last filter took about fifteen minutes to clean, start to finish.

If I was planning on storing the bike without running it, I'd put the filter in an oven and heat it to 200 degrees for an hour to evaporate every last trace of water. I destroyed an engine that way once. It went into the shipping crate in Australia in March, and when I received it in Florida in July, the engine was seized.

Top Bottom