AMA Board votes down "Class Displacement"

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
booneyscb said:
Maximum noise level regardless of rpm of 100 db would solve any disparity issues as to class structure for 2 stroke versus 4. If anyone enforced the noise rule in Indiana more than 60 % of four strokes would be illegal.

Propose limiting 250 four strokes to 225cc for 2009. 450 four strokes to be 400cc at the same time.

Bring speeds down. Slower speeds equal better racing. Have less injuries. Have repeat business at your track.
the noise restriction (I'd go for 96 or 98 dB) would solve your problems. You wouldn't need to change the displacements.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Wardy, I am starting to see alot of what you just said in your last reply. I personally know a handful of guys who are just running the crap out of thier new 4 strokes with NO maintenence, then dumping them on someone who doesnt know what they are getting into. This is only 4 guys, but I wonder how many are doing that. I know for a fact they NEVER have even checked valves let alone adjusted them. They told me I was stupid for doing mine on my KTM (sold).

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
This is only 4 guys, but I wonder how many are doing that

A BUNCH! Some because they don't know any better and some because they don't care. The guys who take care of their bikes are the ones who plan on keeping them for awhile. I'd rather buy a one owner 2004 than a one owner 2006. Ever bought a car that just came off lease? The guy that bought my old enclosed trailer told me he didn't care if towing hurt the transmission in his truck because it was leased. By the time the problem showed up, it wouldn't be HIS problem.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Booney, we made rule changes like we did that can be utilized Today and with today's conditions. Not "hopeing" that we all start sound checking, not telling the "big 4" they HAVE to make smaller cc machines, etc. The later of that sentence would surely been nixed. This change would have worked, or at least started us in the right path for the RIDER, but as i said before it screwed with a marketing plan.

we at congress understand what we have to work with and understand our reason to be there, it's sad that people think for some reason it is about self profit or not for the betterment of the sport. What made us even more furious was that way this got handled. Some stated that one congressman is making a 'Big stink cause he didn't get his way" Well yep that's me, but I am yelling loud for who? I personally have a riding park AND a race track, they ride one or the other. But i have listened to this argument a long time and been asking for a change since 2003. he we are.

Dumping a weak thumper on some unsuspecting soul is just one of the many problems out there. hell there is a congressman (dealer) in PA that has a "room full" of brand new thumpers which are blown up. Here is how that plays. Rider comes in finances a bike, rides it a while, blows it up, finds out the repair cost, leaves it at the shop and says see ya. Now he has bad credit, no bike, and guess what, he now is now longer in our sport. which means he likey has no need for an AMA card or goes riding or racing. That is two of the three items we are about at ama. YOu know RIghts< Riding< Racing. Of course I personally like to see Racing at the fore front, but thats a whole different issue, guess that would be the "racer" in me. :)

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
pred, the problem with the noise issue is simple. we all have to do it or it won't work.

I plan to start sound testing in 2007, but i can bet you, there won't be many others doiing it. Hopefully it catches on but until people start being sent home with no where else to ride, it will be a simple chase the rider to another venue deal.

Sound would not equalize at 250= 125, i don't buy it, what i would aggree to is that we add at LL and the rest of AMA 125 and 250 2 stroke classes abc. Before everyone screams about how long of a day it is and how bad that will be, then my answer is this, drop all the FOO FOO classes that promoters have to make more entry fees and run these. For instance LL has a boat load of "stock" classes, eliminate those and replace with 2 stroke type classes. doesn't hurt a thing. Not to mention promoters and clubs in any ama venue only have to run classes advertized. they can then choose which ones they wish to run. this then doesn't hurt the oem's marketing plan, it only helps them empty out wharehouses full of left over 2 strokes.

na but that would be "thinking to much"

:P

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
wardy said:
. . . drop all the FOO FOO classes that promoters have to make more entry fees and run these.
I agree whole heartedly there. Too dang many classes.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I also wonder what was the board’s reasoning for not allowing the KTM144. You can bore your own machine, but you cannot buy a completely new “manufacturer engineered” 144? Hmmm.

I need to make a correction to one of my posts' on the first page about the KTM 144SX. Under the current rule structure, this bike will only be legal in the vet class (run what ya brung). It's engine displacement is too small for the 250T/450F class. It has to be a minimum of 145cc

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
XRpredator said:

+1 to Pred.

I can pay $20-30 to race (maybe 15-20 laps?)

Pay $20 to practice (30-40 laps? I'm out of shape lol)

I don't get out once a month sometimes, so I gotta get what I can get.

Wardy-

I for one really appreciate what you do for riders around here, and hope you don't get too frustrated and start seeing some of the policy stuff start heading in the right direction.

As far as the db testing is concerned, I have only been tested once, and I'm pretty sure the operator had no earthly idea what he was doing. If you ask I'll tell you where, but me thinks you already know.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
lwsmithjr said:
I need to make a correction to one of my posts' on the first page about the KTM 144SX. Under the current rule structure, this bike will only be legal in the vet class (run what ya brung). It's engine displacement is too small for the 250T/450F class. It has to be a minimum of 145cc

so..... the KTM144 is allowed in the open class, but not in the 125/250F class?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
kawicam250 said:
so..... the KTM144 is allowed in the open class, but not in the 125/250F class?
no, the Vet class, where you can ride anything . . .

I think even a Service Honda CR500AF

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
XRpredator said:

I third that. I'm looking at trying my hand at a local race this weekend. Their website boasts that they have 41 different classes you can race in. 41?!?!?! :coocoo:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
The best hope for the 125 class is for Harley to build a 125T.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The last one they built was kinda trail worthy but noway would a sane person put it on the track!
That won't matter, the AMA will make it the winner. :ride:

grim sweeper

Sep 29, 2003
Just sent my $0.02 to the AMA:

My membership (17 yrs) is currently up for renewal,however I now have questions/concerns about the Board overruling the Congress on the "fair displacement rule". I don't race mx(only off-road),but I ride a two stroke and think more equitable rules would further development of two strokes, as opposed to helping their demise.

Last edited:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
vintage dirt has that one dead on. no matter how sane it is, it's all about marketing.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I feel like it's all been marketing I always get told by dealers the money is in the parts not the bikes. I won't join the AMA and I'm just one of those riders who show's up on practice day. If I race it's always non sancationed races anymore I rather give my money to the track then the AMA.

I'm getting more for my money on practice days anyways, why do tracks have to have 4T only classes anymore? I really don't like the direction the sport is going, there has definetly been a serious dent put into new riders / racers coming onto the scene here lately #1 reason can't afford it anymore, it is not so much the price of the bike it's the maintence. I can't wait to see what happens when 150R's start blowing up.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
VintageDirt said:
The best hope for the 125 class is for Harley to build a 125T.

:nod: Good one VD. :cool: :rotfl:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm glad the AMA didn't pass this displacement rule. How can it be that only a year ago it was fair to have a 144 compete with a 250F and now you need a 250 2-stroke to compete with the 250F?

As for maintenance, me and a hanful of friends (mostly C class but a couple of B and A one A rider) I have who race 4-strokes haven't found the 4-stroke to cost more to ride. A little more to do with checking valves but that's it. And none of them in the last 12 months have had any problems with them blowing up.

I loved the 2-stroke as a kid and if it's all that was there I'd ride it and love it too.

I loved Eric's post about the mini-o's. The money tied up in rigs and equipment these days is nothing short of unreal. In 20-30 years there are going to be alot of 70 year olds working 'til their grave to pay off their MX hobby! And yet it still the cheapest form of racing (talk to someone into sprint cars or truck racing etc).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
HajiWasAPunk said:
I'm glad the AMA didn't pass this displacement rule. How can it be that only a year ago it was fair to have a 144 compete with a 250F and now you need a 250 2-stroke to compete with the 250F?

Funny it's only the guys that have the 250F's that felt it was fair then or now.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Chili said:
Funny it's only the guys that have the 250F's that felt it was fair then or now.

Chili, lol, I didn't have a problem with them making it fair by letting the 125's go to 144. But come on, you think you need a 250 2-stroke to have a fair race against a 250F?

I just don't think the 250F is THAT much better than a 125?

If we're gonna go that far, than they may as well get rid of the classes all together and just have A, B, C, D, Vet and School boy classes and make them all open bike.

Top Bottom